Say it ain't so: The Assploded Bike Parts Picture Thread.

but what about

4 Likes

There is somewhere. I love how even in that pic, it’s some sort of e-moto or scooter. That is not a bicycle.

I’m not saying ebikes don’t ever catch on fire or anything, but so far most of things-with-wheels battery fires are scooters, hoverboards, etc.

2 Likes

oh they for sure do. unfortunately, it’s to always clear in the articles which type of e-bike/scooter/thing was involved (and sometimes its probably unclear as just the battery was charging).

a ton of these fires are caused by the e-bikes used by food delivery people, some of which are basically e-motos, but most i think are pedal bikes with a throttle. they’re all super inexpensive ebikes from china with very questionable batteries.

And (in NYC) used hard in all sorts of wet, salty conditions.

rode wet and put away hard

3 Likes

Killed my road bike that way

But your road bike didn’t kill you

1 Like

…and eight other people in your building.

7 Likes

i thought someone’s radpower was on fire at work yesterday. it was charging and looked like it was billowing smoke, but it was just right next to the laundry dryer exhaust valve.

10 Likes

I am really curious how much this contributes. The battery on my kit bike is “waterproof” or water resistant or something but I kinda don’t believe that. I bought a neoprene cover for it for cold and rainy weather but I’m not sure I would willingly expose it to a downpour the way a delivery person might.

The cheap ebikes probably have questionable chargers as well.

8 Likes

This is what happens when you ride a fully loaded cargo bike 100+ miles a week without getting it looked at for 6 months

19 Likes

Impressive

Lol reminds me of this person on Twitter who said their e-cargo bike got noticeably better mileage after pumping up the tires for the first time in months :flushed: like how didn’t you get a zillion flats

1 Like

I’ve seen so many people on the MUP with like 10-15 psi in their hybrid tires.

Then i remember i used to commute on 23c tires and wouldn’t add air until they were down to like 45 psi. Would pump to 90. And be like damn everything is bumpy.

3 Likes

RIP this Strong seatpost, strong no longer after about 35 years of action. A fresh 26.4 Uno now stands in its place.

6 Likes

You soaked it in NaOH, didn’t you?

3 Likes

I gotta go smokey yunick and dip a whole alu frame for lightness at some point

1 Like

had a revelation today

needed to remove pedals and didn’t feel like playing leverage tricks.

15 Likes