Say it ain't so: The Assploded Bike Parts Picture Thread.

Get the sea to summit replacement that I posted. That’s what I used to fix my ortlieb briefcase years ago.
It went on to survive many winters until I wore a hole in the bag itself.

2 Likes

They are way ahead of you.
Signed,
Unapolagetic Ortleib Apologist.

8 Likes

Rudy for the win.
I don’t know why I didn’t think of that, I went to shop for one of those a few days ago to replace the dumb hook on my dorky patagucci hip pack.

Edit: And Ortlieb as well, apparently.

2 Likes

if your only beef with the ortliebs is that the clips break, that is SUCH a solvable problem. buy your more-preferred clips and sew them in?

6 Likes

FYI! Don’t use these for the roll tops! These ones don’t tighten

I actually had my buckles break recently after like 8 years of use. My brother printed me some of these:

No idea how they rate for long-term durability or economy but they work!

4 Likes

Spendy for a buckle but if you can find someone to sew for you, swap in a magnetic buckle from Fidlock.

1 Like

For big bucks you can get those Cobra buckles

3 Likes

The collabo of Minnesota winters & flexible plastic almost never ends up doing any good for the reputation of the plastic.

3 Likes

Not tryin to defend ortliebs, but temperature embrittlement of polymers is a thing.

Maybe get an old fashioned carradice bag and just live with everything but the straps and buckles being awful.

1 Like

I got a used ile bag with one of these cobra buckles and my god is it satisfying

2 Likes

I still refuse to like ortleib products, mainly because on a three week tour I watched a set nearly crash my friend out twice. However, he was hella stoned for most of the trip so it was probably user error.

Still: I prefer the “many-pockets and zippers + overpackable hinge top” designs of lone peak/Arkel to the “one big compartment” design of ortleib. Waterproofness isn’t a feature I look for in a bag since I pack sensitive things in smaller waterproof bags anyway.

But I’ll get those buckles you posted rudy becuse buying a whole new bag is dumb, even though I love buying expensive outdoor gear so, so much

2 Likes

rudy had the good solution but he posted the wrong one if you need to sinch the bag closed

Sea to Summit 1-Pin Side-Release Field Repair Buckle | REI Co-op

2 Likes

i have seen more than a few ortliebs get ejected on relatively tame trails, and i blame the so-so upper hooks. They’re really intended for commuting and paved-road touring, and aren’t designed for rough&tumble bikepacking.

i still maintain that the Anylander panniers with the Arkel cam lock upper mounts and the Ortlieb lower hook was one of the best combos of secure mounting to the rack + ease of taking them on&off the bike.

1 Like

I still really like the lone peak soft-ish plastic togglehooks + elastic with hook attachment method. Has never let me down in any situation or condition.

The one Rudy posted is right I think. The female part of this clip is bonded to the bag so there’s no cinching.

I ejected a rear pannier once over a bump on a rail to trail. Granted I had stuffed a 24 pk of beer in the single pannier. Luckily had no problems on the way home bacause the bag was significantly lighter by then.

2 Likes

Are they ejecting because the rail clips aren’t closing enough around the rack? IME they spring closed around it and open when you lift up on the handle. Plus you fit the inserts to get closer to the rack OD and minimise movement.

Or is the Ruff Stuff so rough that it’s forcing them open on the upward trajectory?

I usually set the lower hooks to restrain upper movement, so install/removal is a kind of pivot/drop wiggle.

Yeah, I’m calling user error on any and all ortlieb ejections.

I dug out my old briefcase pannier and found that both side clips have been replaced:

And one of them has gone the way of the OE buckle so take from that what you will. Cold plastic gonna break sometimes.

2 Likes

Mine was not setup this way. I don’t remember how it was setup since it was almost 10 years ago but I know that this wasn’t it. That was the only time I ever had an ejection though. With normal loads it always stayed on even over rough terrain. It’s possible with the heavy load for a single pannier I didn’t get one clip fully clipped. Too late to know.