Say it ain't so: The Assploded Bike Parts Picture Thread.

the two ejections that occurred for my friend were both high speed descents, taking a hard corner on very rough pavement. one time he was in front of me and if I recall it looked like the bags vibrated off his front rack somehow. the second time he was behind me and I don’t know what happened, but it took him like 45 minutes to catch up because he smoked a bowl or something to calm down.

2 Likes

Can you guys find me a removable one of these now?

1 Like

Oh yeah, I’ve seen ortliebs eject. Friend of mine and @featherduster was riding a loaded bike down a rough trail on schwalbe kojaks (pumped to a pressure that would allow schwalbe kojaks to survive this abuse) at a high rate of speed.

1 Like

this. the ortlieb upper clips aren’t real good with negative Gs. Every ortlieb ejection I’ve seen has been on an out-of-the-saddle trail descent.

1 Like

gotcha. guess I’ve been lucky with the way my lower hook(s) have prevented/minimised negative G pannier ejection

Yeah, I drop em occasionally during high speed sketchy sprints to the ferry.

ortlieb top cl;ps are good bottom, needs a bungie

disagree. bungie means the bag can flap when the bike bounces. you want the bag to be firmly attached to the bike, not attached with a weak spring.

I’m currently making a minimal laptop sleeve pannier for commuting and doing it with this hardware

1 Like

Please share details as this comes together.

I’ve never had an issue with the classic bungie hook mount, including on lots of forest roads. I definitely like it better than ortleib style. My bags don’t flap at all – but I have adjusted the fit to be very snug on my front bags.

I torqued sups front derailleur to Ritchey’s spec instead of shimanos spec and it slipped into the chainrings. She rode 20 miles with it rubbing. This is a more embarrassing bike mechanic moment for me.

9 Likes

5 Likes

Most people need a few days of quiet recovery after a vasectomy

5 Likes

titanium in perineum.

2 Likes

The owner of this particular seat spear doesn’t have any vas deferens, but it was nearly a very messy tubal ligation.

3 Likes

this has never happened to me on my $15 UNO jawns

I’ll keep using those

4 Likes

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a failure on an aluminum post, now that I really think of it. Seen a few carbon, and that’s the first ti failure.

1 Like

I have an old synchros that the clamp twisted out of the tube. I think it was just epoxied and I keep threatening to just glue it back together

I’ve had no name posts with bonded heads pop loose, but I don’t use those anymore

For real. The only seatposts I’ve broken were a stupid expensive purple Paul and a cheap KS dropper and that one was probably user error.