Say it ain't so: The Assploded Bike Parts Picture Thread.

Worst I’ve done to an alu post is fatigue fail the rail clamp bolt on a commute. Turned around, changed bikes and started again.

New achievement unlocked.

JRA jumping speed bumps a block away from my front door heading out for a ride. It very gently and gradually failed, went from why is my bike a little wiggly to completely off in my hand in like half a block.

13 Likes

More like highway none

10 Likes

highway undone

1 Like

Oh snap

8 Likes

That’s HWY 1 alright, should have seen that coming

5 Likes

hey what’s up it’s me the smartest civil engineer in like 1925, gonna go ahead and say that cutting a road in some soft, absorbent dirt on a real steep hill and then letting an increasing number of increasingly huge vehicles drive on it is a great idea.

6 Likes

I don’t know if I’d blame the engineers that built it. Imagine being the guy that is hired to make the fever dreams of a bunch of Musk-types come to fruition.

3 Likes

Naw dawg this sort of slide has little to do with the road and a lot to do with saturated sediments in a filled gully.

TL;DR bad engineering but not for the reason you think.

It’s still a dumb fucking place for a road and the road might make the slide more likely but like a 10% not a 100%, and mostly due to poor drainage in fill and not vehicle usage.

there are a lot of fucked up awesome roads in CA. there was a week way back in the early 2000s when the place I lived (Humboldt county) was entirely cut off by road. roads south, west, and north were all either snowed in or slid out. kinda cool. the southern road has since been replaced by a gigantic overpass

5 Likes

Wth- arrive down in brevard after hella windy drive on 81. It’s cold. Pull bikes out of van to be able to lower bed.
Maybe not paying too much attention to the fox 36 rhythm but managed to strip/cross thread the kabolt somehow. Tried backing it out and it def took first loop of threads off. So now have to find a shop with skewer and maybe little threaded bit in stock or will let me take off new while they order replacement.

Little tab that the b limit screw pushes agains snapped off (wore down?) mid ride and I couldn’t shift out of the big cog. Was kind of confused about what was going on. Used a beer tab to wedge between the screw and hanger and it held for the rest of the ride and shifted fine.

12 Likes

First time I’ve seen a cracked ratchet ring on a DT 3-pawl hub. But then again, it was on a Karate Monkey.

Also…

Found the rattle in this.

I can’t tell if this was damaged and repaired or came this way… but there were helicoils and m5 bolts in there… barely.

Both helicoils were backing out/stripped. Now there’s a couple of M6 bolts and some loctite. Seems fine.

7 Likes

whatcha got there?

looks like that DT Swiss conversion tool thingy to me. edit: ha ok I see your edit.

1 Like

Belt drive bike?

1 Like

Yeah. A Spot Alfine 11 hybrid. Judging by the rest of things I bet this has spent 99% of its days idle too. Sadly, I suspect the belt will never see enough miles to ever actually need replacement.

1 Like

I had one of those bikes I bought with a crushed rear rim from an insurance company for $100. I remember the threads in the split being terrible, but no helicoils.

That was my guess. Seemed like a failed attempt to fix.

3 Likes

No

6 Likes