Say it ain't so: The Assploded Bike Parts Picture Thread.

Thanks for that. Bastard has a name.

And coffee spray is likely to be unhelpful.

Living in a cloud probably doesn’t help lol

2 Likes

Pocket on my newish organic cotton swerves. That’s where the top corner of my phone naturally ends up. It’s my first pair of jeans in about 20 years. They’re really comfortable, but I’m not happy.

1 Like

Regarding valve chat. Dunlop FTW! Haven’t had to re-air my wife’s tires in over 6 months. Iirc, road bikes use presta because schraders are prone to leaking at high pressure.

1 Like

Wow

Fuckin rawland

I had this happen on a Spec Allez frame that was just clearcoat over aluminum

1 Like

Yea, no. Dunlop valves are the worst.

The cloud-way struggle is real : (
Fecking nasty out there just now. Didnt get above 9 all day yesterday, the cat didn’t even go outside for a leak.

Assploded jar of cycling nutrition paste.

5 Likes

Posting on behalf of my friend, but the bike in question used to be mine, so it’s still relevant.

I sold this bike to him about 3 years ago and he started using it as a commuter. For the last 6 months or so, there’s been a phantom creak. I’m pretty bummed about it because it’s a moderately nice mid-80s Nishiki Cresta. I had it done up real nice too.

Anyway:

Super bummer, guess it got put away wet too many times over the last few decades.

3 Likes

i would need much better photos of all fracture faces to post my socially distant armchair (although i’m sitting in an office chair at my work desk) materials engineering opinion but that doesn’t really look like corrosion was necessarily even a contributing factor.
sure there is some rust in the tube but the fracture face i can see looks like it’s fatigue. I’m assuming the stay cap would be brass brazed to the stay, yet there is some rust on what i think should be that joint, so possibly a manufacturing defect (lack of weld penetration).

The fracture face looks “burnished” which is not surprising given the likely compressive loads just sitting on teh bike, but would make a full on multi bong striation counting failure analysis more difficult :stuck_out_tongue: not that i won’t take you money if you have a few spare bongs lying about, my new house is conveniently located ~10mins walk from a super fancy SEM i’ve used before

note: currently juggling spreadsheets, this is much more interesting materials engineering

2 Likes

a buddy forwarded this over from his work’s internal bike chat:

resulted in a snapped chain that also took out the dangler and dangler hanger

10 Likes

Not the dangler hangler!

11 Likes

the dangler angler

6 Likes

The sprocket is the dangler wrangler

9 Likes

In this case the chain tangler.

7 Likes