Souplesse Casings and Bike Soup - The Tire Thread

:joy:

2 Likes

It’s true! At least one of mine is on wrong facing. They’re still stupid fast tho

3 Likes

anyone tried tubolight inserts?

price / weight make them look like a no brainer

also whoever said to put finishline in tubes is going to heaven - my commuter reens have not lost pressure in a week!

I put another ounce or two of orange seal into my reen and it is holding air again.

1 Like

Sort of curious how much everyone’s tubeless Reen setups end up weighing after injecting enough sealant to keep them aired up.

I rode tubeless reens for a while and can confirm that the stone soup effect is probably real.

“These ultra-light tubeless tire are great but they’d be even better if we added a little more tire juice.”

Repeat until you’re riding water balloons.

2 Likes

I’ve got a pair full of crunchy Stan’s and my regular running tubes. I can’t say I can tell the difference. I’m pretty sold on finish line in the tubes after a week

1 Like

I did this once and posted here but I don’t remember the weight. It wasnt that bad iirc. Apparently most of it does leak out lol.

700x38 Terreno Dry are a good tire if anyone else wants a datapoint. I feel they corner better than Pathfinders but are maybe a touch slower on the road, but that could be me having to dial in a new pressure on the only new tire I’ve tried since 2019.

Weigh less than the 2mm wider Pathfinders too and only 10g heavier than the 2mm skinnier Pathfinders.

I’d also love to try them in 650x47

4 Likes

I’ve been riding some Pirelli Cinturato H and enjoying them a good bit.

5 Likes

Yes.

Terreno Zero ain’t.

I mean, it’s a wonderful tire, but not nearly as fast or as supple.

1 Like

I was curious about those. Have you tried the mix/wet ones?

I have not.

About 13w per pair slower than Getaway Pro (which is my benchmark tire). Pathfinder is about 5w slower per pair than Getaway.

Both are faster than the endurance Reen knobbies tho. Haha.

They seem to be on trend over here. Edit. I mean, in the antipodes.

1 Like

Bike almost ready. Time to do up these wheels.

12 Likes

After I used up my stash of old Big Apples, I’ve been running Maxxis DTHs on my around town bike for a while now. I don’t like them. I think they feel squirmy at less than 40 psi and at that point they start to get that pumped up basketball feeling that’s nice on a DJ or BMX, but not what I want on my commuter.

Do I just not like supple tires? Or is it just the volume difference between schwalbe and maxxis?

I think I want another fat tire with stiff sidewalls made of good rubber that’s actually round. The new big apples have a lot more material in the tread area that makes them feel shittier and less nice leaning over than the old. Does Schwalbe make this tire? It seems like everything now has hella thick tread because it’s marketed for cargo ebikes.

I am not convinced you know the definition of the word ‘supple’

1 Like

It’s all relative. I’ve liked medium-to-supple tires I’ve ridden in the past up to about 35mm, but anything but a stiff casing on a 26" tire feels squrimy to me. The DTH is obviously not the most supple tire, but it is relative to the category (inexpensive 26" x 50mm+ tires), IMO.

I just want something with a stiff casing but a good shape and good rubber. And as close to no tread as possible.

26” options aren’t what they should be. It doesn’t help that schwalbe are never in stock. I’m addicted to the reens. Gotta figure out the sweet spot on most tires and maintain the pressure. Someone here said to put finish line tubeless goop in tubes and that has been magic for not having to air up twice a week

3 Likes