Souplesse Casings and Bike Soup - The Tire Thread

i accidentally’d teravail sparwoods in the “durable” casing instead of the “light and supple” casing

so far they seem fine.

1 Like

I have thoroughly enjoyed the 700x35 Continental Terraspeed on my CX bike for my usual mixed terrain rides (that usually have a decent amount of tarmac time) and they set up tubeless really easily with a floor pump on my DT Swiss R460/18mm internal rims. The only downsides were when it gets a little lumpy on singletrack or rockier gravel and they wore out pretty fast. Before I replace the rear with a new one are there any other tires and good sales I should look at? I wouldn’t mind a bit more width.

2 Likes

I think the inserts make it easier to seat the tires

1 Like

you could float down a river on those “inserts”
have you considered just cutting a pool noodle in half and shoving it in your tires?

1 Like

8 Likes

About to need new tires on SuperX. Really liking 40mm Getaways. My fork will clear 45mm but that would be really pushing it in the rear. Should I run 45mm Getaway front + 40mm Getaway in back of 45mm getaway front + 42mm Gravel Grinder in back?

Downside is 42mm Gravel Grinders only come in black.

Fwiw the gravel grinders test quite a bit slower. 40 Getaway is a pretty magical beast.

1 Like

Hmmmm I think I’m gonna see if I can cram 45s. Every 42c tire I’m looking at looks really boring

Tufo Speedero is nice. Around 42mm. I have one to give away.

I went with the 700x40 Contis, hopefully I have room in the rear for it!

1 Like

considering getting back into the rando lifestyle. Assuming similar quality casing, would moving from a 48mm tire to a 42mm make a noticeable difference in speed/efficiency?

unfortunately yes

most riders would overinflate a 650b x 48mm tire too on a reasonable rando route

1 Like

9 Likes

they claim 420g.

2 Likes

nice

2 Likes

Dang, that’s about 120g lighter than the claimed weight of the Bokens, which I believe having briefly handled the stradas.

Still 50 grams heavier than you know who, but likely worth it. I should finally buy some.

2 Likes

Did a brief ride to work this morning on the Michelin Power Adventure tires in 700x48 sizeway that showed up from euroland yesterday and so far I’m a fan. Even though a dorky upright Riv is not their target market, they feel real nice and seemed to roll pretty well (setup with tubes). They measured just under 47mm on i25 rims.

I bought a set of 700x42 as well in case the 48s felt to big/slow, but may end up putting those on another bike instead.

Jantires have an advantage of less labeling, but it’s sure nice to have options.

1 Like

I have a set I think I may not use any time soon in 700x36 way.