TAF, JA, or just WTH?

not sure how this didn’t win, who ran this contest? the no fun patrol?

1 Like

Seen at Daytona over the weekend. “Fear the TAF”

9 Likes

it’s not even a particularly interesting photograph

I like this type of thing but not this execution

I don’t like anything in the last few posts except for Half Dome.
Cars, no mater how fancy the paint, are definitionally NOT TAF.

8 Likes

pas normal staff rides, sw8 splatter on the black S

4 Likes

Wow, people still be out there riding Speedplay pedals

2 Likes

Ran into a guy during the LA Tourist who was doing the thing on Speedplays. An event with literal miles of hike-a-bike. When we ran into him, he’d already grenaded his dangler and had been reset to SS. He caught a ride at the next trailhead, thankfully less than a mile away.

2 Likes

I don’t work in the industry but my office in LA was next to a bike path in the westside and before I left for med leave they moved the bike rack outdoors for desk space even after multiple ppl reported thefts. I wonder if they moved it inside post-layoffs, guess I’ll find out when I return. Imo dumb decision by ops team, prob a dozen bike commuters with max headcount of ~120

Anyway I wish I had good bike parking like this

3 Likes

She does some very cool stuff.

10 Likes

Dude there’s a GB on dentistforums for replacement springs

Cold memories of digging mud or snow out of the cleats on riverside drive. Also moving bolts around from one foot to another because they were coming apart, riding as far as I could before trying to unclip, etc.

Same, dude

1 Like

is the “good for managing some kinds of knee injury” thing still true about Speedplays, or is there another pedal that does it better now?

Eggbeaters can give you most of it. 20* of float, IIRC.

I rode Speedplays once, and once was enough.

1 Like

Went on a road ride last week with someone rocking Speedplays. One of the (fucking phillips head apparently?!) bolts that hold the like… cleat assembly to the base assembly had popped out somewhere along the way, and the bolts in the baseplate assembly were also coming loose, fixing which apparently requires that you like halfway-disassemble the cleat monstrosity to even get to those bolts?

Idk it struck me in that moment that I don’t think any other type of pedal would put the rider in a similar situation no matter how badly the cleat situation failed.

3 Likes

it’s amazing they ever got popular because putting the fragile mechanism on the thing that gets smashed into the ground all the time is really quite stupid in principle

9 Likes

for my knees, time does the trick plenty. i do hear that crankbros stopped breaking constantly but i don’t remember where i heard that. maybe @EndpointBraden? sorry if i’m dragging you into something braden

18 Likes

Holy shit, that’s amazing.

1 Like