Tarck Approved database

Steamroller with the soma low trail fork for maximum front load lulz.

Yes. Takes mid reach brakes.

Gunna be a Gunnar.
Indulgent bike build version 3.0 comin’ up…

Life is too short to ride Merciers

[quote=b-roll]Gunna be a Gunnar.
Indulgent bike build version 3.0 comin’ up…[/quote]
Whats the attraction with the Gunnar b-roll. I know nothing about them. A custom build?

Conspicuous consumption plays a role, but good steel, quality builds by Waterford, good finish and good reputation for customer service.
MUSA is important to me, and it’s actually not far from being a local company, being about 75 miles from my door.
I race CX with some of these folks.

Since I wanted more clearance for 28c + fenders, it technically turned out to be a ‘custom’ build, but their stock 54 is so close there’s not point in messing with the geometry.

Like several of my bikes, I’m sure I could have gotten what I wanted for less money, but again, conspicuous consumption is, well…

[quote=b-roll]Conspicuous consumption plays a role, but good steel, quality builds by Waterford, good finish and good reputation for customer service.
MUSA is important to me, and it’s actually not far from being a local company, being about 75 miles from my door.
I race CX with some of these folks.

Since I wanted more clearance for 28c + fenders, it technically turned out to be a ‘custom’ build, but their stock 54 is so close there’s not point in messing with the geometry.

Like several of my bikes, I’m sure I could have gotten what I wanted for less money, but again, conspicuous consumption is, well…[/quote]
Sweet. Great to have local buying options.

[quote=b-roll]The Gunnar SS offering doesn’t appear to have fender-friendly clearance.

Checked out Milwaukee Bicycle Co. yesterday. I had seen their bikes before but never looked super closely. Welds seemed good, butting seemed reasonable from what little I can tell tapping on tubes. Finish quality was pretty sporadic–Fred Flintstone lookin’ powdercoat on the color I was interested in, but clearcoat topped stuff seems legit. The track fork ends on the SS model were mournful little flat 5mm thick plates. Probably perfectly fine functionally but a real turnoff.[/quote]

Didn’t Gunnar used to make the Milwaukee bikes years ago?

Did I misremember? Or did that used to happen and now someone else makes 'em?

Yeah, afaik all Milwaukee frames are made by Gunnar/Waterford. Reported finish quality is in line with Gunnar wet paint.

Yep–both Gunnar and Milwaukee frames are Waterford made. MBC is the most economical way to get a Waterford frame, but I’ve seen a bunch and they just seem a little rough on finish. I’m pretty sure that MBC just orders a bunch of stock frames and adds bits like canti studs, chainstay bridges, bottle bosses and additional eyelets themselves on demand. Not a bad deal really.

The powdercoating jobs are super blobby and ugly to me, but the wet paint stuff looks good. I don’t really care for their welded on extra hunks of metal for badges, but those are optional.

The Orange One model is pretty much what I wanted (nice steel SS road frame built for medium reach brakes), but I was just too turned off by those pitiful little fork ends and uncertainty about finish.

Yeah, they’re budget as fuck. In the grand scheme of things bikes are cheap.

Waterford/Gunnar also makes Rivendell.

Any thoughts/experience with TRP HY/RD hybrid cable/hydraulic disc brakes? I don’t want to hassle with the complexities of hydro brakes and this seems like the best of both worlds, though it has the potential of being not good for either world.

Marginally better in feel than full mechanical. On the other hand, they look like giant tumors on your bike, they’re expensive, and I’ve seen multiple have problems with pad self-adjustment. Been interested in trying the Juin Tech X1 or older R1 instead, which don’t look as spectacularly massive and come in all kinds of tarck-friendly colors. Might not work right though

Apparently hydro brake are really easy, according to Tarck Consulting LLC.

I bled my first shimano (mtb) hydros and it was easy

Shimano hydros are easier to bleed than SRAM, in my opinion. I guess it depends on if you like the funnel or extra syringe more.

[youtube]COLd57jDvOE[/youtube]
[youtube]pxTZ2QTPc2w[/youtube]

Thanks, it’s helpful to see both setups side by side. I’ve had complications trying to bleed brakes, so I like the obviousness of mechanicals, but maybe it’s time to jump back in and give it a go again.

i’ve never used them, but everyone that i know that does say that compressionless housing is a MUST.

Yeah, it’s more or less required, if you don’t want your brakes to feel like they’re full of mashed potatoes. At this point, any good shop should be stocking rolls of the compressionless Jagwire housing.