Tarck Approved database

:bear:

Dunno where you’re at with tubeless, but I’ve found both Hutchinson’s Sector and Schwalbe’s G One to be pretty great in that general size. Easy to set up, too.

I am tubeless ambivalent at this point. Not ready to learn the new tech when the old stuff is still working fine.
I have an office mate who regularly preaches the virtues of tubeless to me, to no avail.
But then again I’m still on 9 speed for all my geared bikes. Some people just can’t be helped.

9s TL evangelist here
But I only think it makes sense if you’re tire shooping; wear-out what you got.

Despite my “tubeless all the things” attitude, I still use regular clincher tires on my road bike. I get about one flat every 2 years or so, so I don’t really see a need to change anything. Also I basically NEVER ride my road bike anymore, so there’s that, too.

i have gone to tubeless all the things except my winter bike with studded tires. if i get a flat through one of those beasts i’ll be absolutely shocked. they are so un-supple that i think i could ride them without air in the tires and barely know the difference.

[quote=b-roll]I am tubeless ambivalent at this point. Not ready to learn the new tech when the old stuff is still working fine.
I have an office mate who regularly preaches the virtues of tubeless to me, to no avail.
But then again I’m still on 9 speed for all my geared bikes. Some people just can’t be helped.[/quote]

I was, too, until the start of this year, when I asked around here about hte state of road tubeless. I’d assumed that it was sort of an afterthought appended to tubeless mtb tire dvelopment, but it’s really become good. Hutchinson Sectors in 28mm lasted 6 months with no flats and reasonably good wear on the rear tire - and they could get run at low, low pressures to boot.

The installation process for road tubeless is not bad. I’ve watched tutorials on making your own 2l soda bottle flash compressor on the assumption that I’d need it, but I’ve always just used a regular floor pump. wrangling the tire milk is a mild pain in the ass, but as long as you can recall the direction in which gravity acts on objects, and the behavior of liquids under gravitational pull, you’re fine. Translation, I’ve only spilled latex water all over my lap once or twice.

So yeah, totally not a crucial technology ,but a real improvement from tubes.

I guess one issue that bothers me, which might be fatbike specific or exaggerated, is the tendency for sealant to dry out or gob up over time. I have too many bikes and I can barely keep up with chain replacement–I like being able to take a bike down after 6 months, air up the tires and take off without wondering what’s gone sour in there.

Tubeless appears to shift the extra effort towards at-home verification instead of in-field repair.
It all depends on which you prefer. I get stressed out trying to replace a tube on the shoulder of a busy road while a crew of friends tap their watches.
I’d much prefer to never experience that and spend my time in the workshop keeping the tubeless bikes maintained.

[quote=Andrew_Squirrel]Tubeless appears to shift the extra effort towards at-home verification instead of in-field repair.
It all depends on which you prefer. I get stressed out trying to replace a tube on the shoulder of a busy road while a crew of friends tap their watches.
I’d much prefer to never experience that and spend my time in the workshop keeping the tubeless bikes maintained.[/quote]

That’s a really good way to explain it.

I suspect that 6 months would be too long, but if you’re using a commuter bike at least weekly, I can’t imagine it would be a huge problem. I put maybe two ounces of sealant in a 28mm tire, and months later it was still nice and liquid inside.
I mean look, you do you, I don’t work for a tire company, I’m just really pleased by how well road tubeless works.

Have done this, construction staples can best a Hakkapelita if you hit one dead on. Changing a flat at 10deg F sucks.

Same. Down to 10 bikes now so it’s less of an issue, and I am still swapping tires around on them. Also only 2 of them above 9 speed.

to the tubeful tires deadenders thread then…

[quote=iwillbe]
I mean look, you do you, I don’t work for a tire company, I’m just really pleased by how well road tubeless works.[/quote]
I’m at this point too.
Had a local bikepacking bro complaining of multiple flats on whatever previous-gen tyres he was using. I asked him why not road tubeless, and his thinking is he has to carry tubes anyway so what’s the point? I leave it at that, I’m not gonna be an evangelist.

added a sheet on booze

Put the $200 bar on there

I did.

Have done this, construction staples can best a Hakkapelita if you hit one dead on. Changing a flat at 10deg F sucks.[/quote]

if i flat that bike in 10F weather i’m just going to throw it in the bushes and take an uber home.

High Mileage Steve ran tubeless for the first time this winter, after telling all of us for three years+ that he would never do so because he wants to be able to quickly change a flat with a fresh tube.

Now he’s converted and if it’s good enough for his ~600 miles a week, it’s good enough for me.

I think I get consumer-y with new tires once every year or so, so by the time my sealant is gobbin’ I’m onto a new set anyways. I’ve had great luck ebaying used fatbike/plusbike tires.