Tarck Approved database

It threads directly into the stem and pinches the faceplate in the process. If the decaleur is holding any static weight you are doing it wrong.

you have a photo of that on the internets?[/quote]

You can kind of see it here. There are two hourglass mounts brazed onto the bottom of the stem clamp area that the Berthoud stem adapter attaches to. They are dedicated mounts for the dongle, independent of the bar clamp bolt. Not exactly what I had in mind when I asked for the stem to be compatible with a Berthoud decaleur, but it works (if not overkill).

Hi Tarck,

I’m not seeing any battery operated light recommendations on the spreadsheet, only dynamo.

Is this Rave Man that Fred likes the current best bang for buck?
I would mostly be using it in conjunction with a helmet mounted light for MTB. Think Tiger Mountain in the dark.

http://www.ravemen.com/index.php?m=content&c=index&a=show&catid=8&id=1

Helmet lamp suggestions also welcome.

[quote=nevernotnuts]Hi Tarck,

I’m not seeing any battery operated light recommendations on the spreadsheet, only dynamo.

Is this Rave Man that Fred likes the current best bang for buck?
I would mostly be using it in conjunction with a helmet mounted light for MTB. Think Tiger Mountain in the dark.

http://www.ravemen.com/index.php?m=content&c=index&a=show&catid=8&id=1

Helmet lamp suggestions also welcome.[/quote]

I really love my Gloworm, but I haven’t tried a lot of other stuff. Cygolite was fine. Light & Motion was not fine, it broke and was overpriced.

the Ravemen mount super sucks and I haven’t found a way to get spares yet

I might end up removing the stock mounting shoe for a different standard style

the newer non-generic Magicshine stuff is pretty good, been wanting to try their Eagle 600 but might hold out for the soon-to-be-released B&M Ixon Space in that category

I’m also looking for a helmet-mounted light, maybe from Exposure? Also wanting to be able to Tiger in the dark.

For the kind of thing you can walk into a bike shop and buy, Light and Motion is great, and the price is generally lower than anything else in that category.

The L&M light I had was a helmet light, this one:

It was $150 and the wires on it started to split, first at the junction with the battery and then at the junction with the light, after less than 6 months. The wire wasn’t quite long enough for the headband, so the wire was almost always under tension when I wore it on my head. The problem got worse and worse until it stopped working. I don’t remember what I did with the light - I think I called them to ask about a warranty repair and there wasn’t an avenue to do so, but maybe I just didn’t follow up. At any rate, wasn’t thrilled about it at all, especially for what I paid.

I replaced it with the GloWorm and a cheap headlamp and I’m much happier, but YMMV. I haven’t tried the generic looking L&M lights, they might be better than the weird one I had.

I was looking at the gloworm stuff this morning actually. I see they do one similiar to the Ravemen thing, but apparently its mount is its weakness. Probably from having 2 x 18650’s hanging off it.

I’m into Tiger at night. How much lighting do I need? I have a Magicshine knockoff for my head and a Cygolite Expilion 850 (?) for the bars.

For helmet lamp I’ve been using a black diamond revolt(?) not-elegantly ziptied to my hamlet.

I was looking at a mini blinky-style light for map reading vs seeing the road

[quote=NOVELTYNAME]
I was looking at a mini blinky-style light for map reading[/quote]
If you wear a cycling cap I found that this little brim mounted lamp is close to being good. Fairly cheap and takes coin cell batteries.
Weighs as much as a popcorn fart. Too many LEDs though, wish it was about half the size.

maybe something like this would work better: https://www.amazon.com/Freehawk-Headlamp-Baseball-360°Rotating-90°Adjustable/dp/B01GHL4EBQ/

I keep these little $1 Walmart cap lights in my rando bag:

[quote=drwelby]I keep these little $1 Walmart cap lights in my rando bag:

[/quote]

edit: 2 squirrelcolors!

NIIIIICE, even has surface mount LEDs

I reckon it depends a lot on if you ride by yourself or with others. If I am night riding on my MTB I always get swamped by my buddies lights which are always 3 times stronger than mine, and cast a massive shadow in front of me, if they are behind me. But if I am by myself I don’t feel short on lumens at all. Having said that, its probably time to upgrade from the Ayups.

Got the Ravman and yes, the mount seems v junkish BUT the shoe is held on by a phillips screw. Seems easy to modify.

I have several tiny LED helmet lights but am wanting a big bright spot light for MTB.

I’m just going to kludge something to my head until I decide how much lumens/lux/candles/whatever are necessary to compliment the handlebar light.

My buddy that rides Stub Stewart in the dark uses a NiteRider 1400. The problem he’s always had is outrunning his lights. YMMV, depending on radness.

I’m interested in little watch battery powered lights for cuesheet reading. Low lumens is a big deal because bright lights reflecting off a white cuesheet are sort of blinding, and increase glare off whatever layer of clear plastic you have on top of the paper. My second wish is for a light with only one, non flashing mode. When you’re in the shit riding all night, it sucks to have to cycle your blinky in and out of strobe mode every time you want to check a cue. I use MEC Turtles (single led, CR2032 powered) but their flashing mode is making me want to try something else. So i may give these walmart jawns a go. PS Sorry to all for this incredibly iBob post

I’ve been thinking about 3d printing something like this:

It clamps on your stem with an o-ring and shines onto the map pocket on your handlebar bag (assuming your stem is flattish) (my stem is flat) (I’m not designing this for you). The idea is to have two contacts on the bottom so that it turns on when it’s clamped to your stem (my stem is polished) (tough luck yours is anodized). Since I run my computer on the stem I’d probably make it double-sided so it illuminates both.

But that’s where the garmin goes