Tarck Approved database

[quote=jr.early][quote=Rusty Piton]In the vein of those MAP bars, has anyone used the FSA Metropolis?

Kinda looks like what I want for my Wolverine.[/quote]

Wife bike has these and she loves them. She did 16 days in Japan on them as her first tour and never had numb hands or any discomfort. Also the shop owner bought them from swears by them.[/quote]

i liked the origin 8 space bar more than these guys. salsa bend 2 is cool if you’re looking for less than full townie sweep. i ride them on all my mtbs cuz shitty wrists and it helps a lot.

Did a big rearrange on a bunch of tabs (cyan labels), added filters, conditional formatting for TarckApproval®, moved/added some fields and included a little input validation. marginalia arguments preserved

#informationtarckitecture

Are you the one that added three columns of filtering fuckery that make it overwhelming to use now?

Just checking, because I just lost all desire to refer to it.

oh man I love it. btw how do you put the sort value thingy in a cell instead of using the column header?

also how do you make it so a cell can only be Y/N/Meh?

fuck I use spreadsheets all the time and I have no idea what I’m doing.

[quote=jawn doe][quote=jr.early][quote=Rusty Piton]In the vein of those MAP bars, has anyone used the FSA Metropolis?

Kinda looks like what I want for my Wolverine.[/quote]

Wife bike has these and she loves them. She did 16 days in Japan on them as her first tour and never had numb hands or any discomfort. Also the shop owner bought them from swears by them.[/quote]

i liked the origin 8 space bar more than these guys. salsa bend 2 is cool if you’re looking for less than full townie sweep. i ride them on all my mtbs cuz shitty wrists and it helps a lot.[/quote]

i really love the metropolis bars on my around town bike, perfect amount of sweep for me

[quote=akasnowmaaan]Are you the one that added three columns of filtering fuckery that make it overwhelming to use now?

Just checking, because I just lost all desire to refer to it.[/quote]

I don’t want to make it shitty to use, it’s easy for me to go and reverse the changes if tarck doesn’t like it. My intent was only to break out manufacturer from model and include a little more relevant info about the product so that as the TBD grows it could be filtered down quickly (as I understand it, each viewer of the sheet in gdocs gets their own unique filter view, so if anonymous moose filters tyres down to only show tubeless 29er, other users will see the unfiltered view or their own particular filter selection) to show all the items that matched the desired use and if they’re good or bad. People can enter new items without filling in all the fields if they like, blanks aren’t forced to be filled, and you can scroll through all the items just like before without using the filter.

[quote=Straws]oh man I love it. btw how do you put the sort value thingy in a cell instead of using the column header?

also how do you make it so a cell can only be Y/N/Meh?[/quote]

Sort value = filter? Select the table range (eg b4:h100) and then click the filter icon (or if the icon doesn’t show on your toolbar, go to data, then filter). Filter can then be used to sort the entire range (so it has to encompass all columns) or only show rows that match the selected options/ranges in the filtered columns. When a new row is added the autofilter range is extended to include it automatically, same if a column is inserted in the middle somewhere, but not if one is tacked on the extreme right end.

Input restriction: Select the range you want to restrict inputs, go to data, then data validation. Select your options in the dialogue box (for this case, I used select from a range, show drop down and reject invalid entries), for a range you then have to select the range of allowed inputs (they’re kept on the input validation sheet at the very end tab, allowed input range can be extended/modified as required). You can start typing and it’ll autocomplete, or hit the dropdown and select one. Then those cells also have conditional formatting (colour fill) on them matched to the allowed inputs

Awesome. I don’t know how exactly I’ll use those things as I don’t have a need for them in my normal work but always good to learn. I should take a class or read a book on excel. I’m entirely self taught from just fiddling with things.

I can’t imagine how much better my career would be going if I did this.

yeah…I don’t know how to edit or add stuff anymore and just feel like I’m gonna fuck things up.

looks like I’m expanding my doc’n skills this week.

Just go for it and let the spreadsheet nerds fix your mistakes.

I admit, I kinda lose it quickly with stuff like this. Don’t take my low frustration tolerance with too much weight. It’s what makes me a good designer.

Thanks for the docs. I’ll dig in, maybe I can figure it out without too much effort.

loving the filters. I’ve already used them to shit up the paul components entries.

And from this I see my info was wrong about every user getting unique filter views, as I can see brakes filtered down to Paul. I’ll dig into that a little more later and see if there’s a default ‘on load’ view.

[quote=akasnowmaaan]I admit, I kinda lose it quickly with stuff like this. Don’t take my low frustration tolerance with too much weight. It’s what makes me a good designer.

Thanks for the docs. I’ll dig in, maybe I can figure it out without too much effort.[/quote]

I was actually hoping your designer/ux chops might provide some tips on how to make it easier/friendlier to use. Fire away with any gripes and perhaps the approach to entry/sorting/display could be improved.

Naw, just edit/add stuff, and as euclid says:

But really, it’s not too much different to add than before, you might just be selecting a drop down for a category as well as typing in some details in extra columns. And gdocs has a great revision history feature, so even if someone totally fucks something up (barring ctrl-a, delete, that’s unlikely) it can be rolled back in time to before the edit easily if a few undo steps don’t fix it.

====
To add new entries to the tarckDB sheets with autofiltered tables, it can be done two ways:

• just enter data into the row immediately under the last entry of the table under the green line, then the table will auto extend to include that entry
  • in the middle of the table, insert a row (alt-i, r. or Insert, Row above/Row below) and then type into that row
  • For validated/dropdown cells, either start typing and select as the matching options appear, or click the dropdown and select from all the options. Or leave it blank and let someone else fix it later.

If the table doesn’t seem to be showing all the entries, look at the little icons in the header row. If one of them looks like a solid funnel, instead of an inverted triangle made of 3 horizontal lines, there’s a filter on that column that you can turn off (click the icon, click select all, click OK).

Likewise, to filter, click the inverted triangle icon, and then you can:
*sort a->z / z->a

• filter by condition (blanks/nonblanks/text contains/value in a range between x & y…)
  • filter by search or manual selection

How do you prevent non-Tarckers from editing the spreadsheet? What’s to prevent some malicious jackass from just deleting it all?

Just curious.

[quote=Recumbentist]How do you prevent non-Tarckers from editing the spreadsheet? What’s to prevent some malicious jackass from just deleting it all?

Just curious.[/quote]

Nothing? I pay for the 100 gig Google Drive already anyways and I have a version saved in there in case it gets deleted so I can be the hero of Tarck. Anyone can do that.

[quote=Recumbentist]How do you prevent non-Tarckers from editing the spreadsheet? What’s to prevent some malicious jackass from just deleting it all?

Just curious.[/quote]

Yeah, sooner or later the link will get out in the wild. One option is to revoke editing by all, and if you want edit privileges you have to request them from the sheet owner. The tyre width sheet is pretty well known and it doesn’t appear to be overly full of bad data.

If someone does start maliciously editing entries, the revision history ought to allow a roll back to a good version, unless they make a bad edit every day over time.

Do we need a tab for lightweight 'bent parts?

It’s already in the wild.

No one cares, guys.

[quote=Wintage Townie]It’s already in the wild.

No one cares, guys.[/quote]

who leaked it
i want answers
was it russia?