The Rivendell Rage Reader: A thread for the pure joy of hating on Grant P

I will never mock your stretchy pants.

To your face.

1 Like

Isn’t this all kind of reactive? I mean, rivendell as well. Very reactive to a perceived judgy cycling culture and now more reacting to that. Mainstream cycling culture can be very exclusive and judgemental. And he’s kind of pushing back against that. And everyone is kind of jockeying for space in the culture or whatever. I mean, yeah, what does your ride is too long even mean? But also I don’t think most people even care about rivendell.

Personally I’m trying to wrap my head around wearing bibs, which I find more comfortable, and flat shoes, which I like more than clipless shoes.
Can I bring myself to be the goof in spandex and vans? I mean, if that’s what I like, then shouldn’t I wear it?

6 Likes

THIS IS WHAT I WAS WARNING YOU ALL ABOUT!

first you decide to tell GP he instagram’s wrong and now poor Joel thinks there’s a dress code to sweat in the woods.

there is no wrong way to ride a bike.

7 Likes

it feels weird. put shorts on top of the bibs and boom, vans are okay

4 Likes

Triathletes can have a little wee on the bike, as a treat?

5 Likes

Ok I was wrong. Triathlon is the wrong way to ride a bike

8 Likes

This bike looks fun:

5 Likes

It me

2 Likes

In mg experience, this method also makes Chacos OK.

3 Likes

I’d take this as a personal challenge if I had anything to sell.

1 Like

the math checks out

1 Like

I don’t want to put shorts over them. Why? It makes no sense.

Just make sure it’s bibs not charity ride shorts no one wants to see that crack.

1 Like

Of course what kind of uncultured slob do you take me for??

1 Like

I made some assumptions about a guy who was hammering along and I figured I could use him to break a nasty headwind and then I spotted the Seattle to Portland souvenir jersey and just the barest inch of bike shorts butt crack. You never know.

1 Like

i’ve ridden in bibs and SPD sandals, you can get away with bibs and vans

I don’t think it’s pushback — looks like recapitulation to me

he hasn’t had anything mainstream to push against for about a decade?

and the rivendell culture he fostered has been pretty explicitly exclusive and judgemental for a bit longer than that?

6 Likes

I wore shorts over bibs with vans exactly once. Cut off jorts in fact. It was day three of a tour and the first “long” day at 70 miles, compared to the first two at around 30. I was embarrassed I guess to have on stretchy pants so on went the jorts. I got the worst saddle sore ever.

1 Like

Well then it’s just people being reactive to him I guess.

1 Like

If you fart loudly, people will react.