The Rivendell Rage Reader: A thread for the pure joy of hating on Grant P

Wait, what’s the problem with jorts over bibs?

10 Likes

Personally I find them uncomfortable. And it gave joyofvaping a saddle sore. Obviously you have no problem with them.

I’m trying to think of a tagline about wearing shorts over bibs. If you have to wear shorts over your bibs, then you are too cool. That doesn’t really work. If you have to wear bibs under your shorts, your butt is too covered in saddle sores.

ATMO spd sandals with bibs is better than vans with bibs. but bibs are dorky as hell anyway so who cares

@igor has done a masterful job of hitting primarily posi vibes with his brand IMHO

11 Likes

I think I shared this before but The Dancing Chain has some great old ads that say to me that freds have been hating on racers since the beginning of cycling. Here are a couple examples where a casually dressed rider on nerdy practical bike also gets to achieve the seemingly contradictory goal of being higher performance than a serious racer. So they are both more casual and more serious than the clueless racer bros.

Hard to see in the background but there’s a doofus racer helplessly pushing his high performance steed that’s actually low performance, and the woman who’s riding the casual yet ultimately higher performance bike is cheekily waving to him as she crests Le Tourmalet.

6 Likes

This idea of the nerds actually secretly being better than the jocks, while simultaneously being more humble and real, is deeply appealing to nerds. And I think it goes back way before cycling.

It actually makes me think of Nietzsche’s criticizing of Christian ethics for being excessively reactive against oppressors. He thought the Christian idea of how to be good is primarily “do not be like a Roman aristocrat” and hence not something that can stand on its own. In thia line of thought, someone who simply does stuff they think is good is just aesthetically more pleasing than someone who is primarily a hater.

11 Likes

20 years ago Grant wrote a better takedown of himself than anything posted in this thread. Take that chamoiscels.

RR15

4 Likes

totally forgot low-normal derailleurs were a thing before this thread refreshed my memory

Yea, I think this thread needs a trigger warning for sure.

1 Like

Low normal derailleurs + barcons = make perfect sense.

3 Likes

This is the Riv thread right? I spotted this rare bird on an AHH

6 Likes

That is some band tshirt to the concert shit right there

11 Likes

I like the turtle though

4 Likes

If you’re gonna sniff the farts might as well sniff them all.

5 Likes

Is there a place where I can look at riv catalogs from like 1994-2000?

Looks like a Mack’s bottle in the cage. Was this in our hood?

1 Like

It’s at Ardmore and Sheridan right at the start of the LFT so it’s probable that this dude came down from the North Shore.

I’m always surprised when anyone got MUSA items that fit.

Grant’s copy usually included some vague approximation that fit him (“I wear size L in Dockers!”) then “but I like my knickers flappin’ in the breeze so I wear XL in these” …. and you were supposed to take something away from that.

2 Likes

I don’t think there were any catalogs from 1994/1995. The first reader was right at the end of December 1994 and the first mailer was a frame brochure in 1995, catalog in 1996.

http://notfine.com/rivreader/

A word about the catalog numbering: it’s inconsistent and incomplete. There are 20 catalogs in all but at first glance it appears there are some gaps. The first catalog is unnumbered and the second catalog is labeled “Number 3.” (There is some Rivendell apocrypha that suggests Grant called the second catalog the third in a nod to the Traveling Willburys who named their second record “Vol. 3.”)

This is my favorite cover, it’s excellent

6 Likes

I’ve been skimming through the Readers lately since I mostly skipped all bikes during those times and lol.

7 Likes