Tonic Fab Supernauts and bickering...

[quote=“Kabuki”][quote=“Rusty Piton”]…but here’s one that does:
[/quote]

Perhaps you can try reading my challenge again. Bike YOU own…
ha. Just as I though.[/quote]

I like this game.
This is one I own.

And here’s two more:

[quote=“Kabuki”]Bingo. When it all comes down to it, NONE of this makes any sense because //GASP// its just bikes.

Folks are so quick to bash everyone else’s bikes (LA Fixed, Bike Forums, The Come Up BMX, etc) But I rarely see anyone talk about how well something works, how well something holds up, etc. It’s usually all about “this is ugly. you are stupid.” The only folks that seem to put everyone else down are the same one’s who don’t ride (and frankly, seem juvenile and jealous).[/quote]

oh wait, fucker

[quote=“tarckeemoon”]Those are track ends? Jesus.

Who is this frame for? Short track ends make it silly for the track, and proprietary headset and (non-barspinnable) carbon fork take points off for trix use.

Let me guess. It’s not drilled for brakes.[/quote]

do you read?

my contribution

go fuck yourself

Suck my Serotta and keep spewing nonsense.

Dude, you’re a bitch and that is some weak-ass ugly shit.

You have no taste.

I really need to take some pics of my other bikes.

This is the new Post Your Bike thread.

No weak-ass shit allowed!!!

This is the best thread ever. I have a crush on that crosscheck and the karate monkey. The pink Faggin reeks of irony, I’d totally ride that.

Kabuki, keep it up, man. You’re about to win this one.

So he posts information on a new bike and you people give him shit cause of the bike he owns, how is anyone supposed to react? So much hate towards a person you don’t even know all because he owns a bike you don’t like. This place is rampant with teenage girls competing for daddy’s attention it seems!

i got secret cheat code - suck daddy’s dick…

ahem

[quote=“toast”]i got secret cheat code - suck daddy’s dick…

ahem[/quote]

lol :bear:

Howdy.

Stumbled into this forum via insomnia, and noticed a mention of the Supernaut.

This thread seems to have gone sideways pretty quickly. Not much I can do about that.

I can try and fill in some questions about this bike. I regret our website is very outdated. This should change shortly.

We’ve built track bikes since we started Tonic in '04. Didn’t really pursue them beyond building a few bikes for friends. Our other bikes have kept us pretty busy. We have helped out Alfred Bobe Jr.with a bike for the past few years. He’s a messenger in NYC, has won 3 Monster Tracks…a unique individual and a genuine bad-ass on a bike.

Anyway, the Supernaut is our spin on a track bike, and what are currently selling. Yes, it’s very, very stiff. The 57 weighs a little under 4.5lbs. I’ll try and address a few things:

I don’t like the drop-outs. The bike in the photo is a proto. I wanted to see how small the dropouts could get. I ride my bikes with the wheel slammed, so long DO’s have never made sense to me. That said, the production DO’s are longer, but if you require a 2" long DO slot, this isn’t your bike.

Production dropouts:

I don’t like the headset. Hmm…this style of headset has been used successfully on BMX frames for the past 5 years. We’ve used it for the past 3. It’s a Campy integrated style (Record / Chorus / FSA Impact), and you can get bearings anywhere on the planet. We machine the lower race after welding. With a machine. Not a park tool. If you can screw the headtube up…I can’t even imagine of how someone could do that. Our twist on this very proven system is to incorporate our own press-fit aluminum upper cup. The frames come with this cup installed. This takes up some of the space that a regular headset upper cup would have without resorting to an extra long head-tube, or a million spacers. We’ve got 2 different stack height upper cups for this to help you avoid running spacers. It’s also lighter than the steel upper race. I dunno…I like this system. It’s bullet-proof, requires no tools to service and any shop will either have bearings in stock, or have quick access to them. I prefer these to press-fit headsets. On the other hand, if you want a press-fit headset, we can certainly build your bike with a press fit head tube.

I don’t like the way it looks. I don’t like the way a lot of bikes look too. I really, really like this one though.

It’s expensiveThe price does include frame / fork and headset. I think it’s very fairly priced. It’s not cheap or easy to create a bike around your own head tubes / headsets / drop-outs / seat stays / chain stays. It’s easier and cheaper to just use readily available materials, but that just isn’t what Tonic is about.

The finish on the the bike in the photo is a rust-resistant coating used in industrial applications. It’s not “raw.” Not 100% sure we’ll be able to continue offering this finish, but I hope so.

What else? If you wanted a level top tube, or water bottle mounts, or a rear brake mound or fender mounts, or a press fit headtube…yeah we can do those things. Of course.

Anyway,

Thanks for your time. The Supernaut is a very different rig, and I don’t expect everyone to love it. I do hope that some of what I’ve written makes enough sense to be able to form your own intelligent opinion about the bike.

-L

I think it’s great you’ve come to address questions here - way rad on your part. But this doesn’t really make sense to me:

“The bike in the photo is a proto. I wanted to see how small the dropouts could get. I ride my bikes with the wheel slammed, so long DO’s have never made sense to me.”

What do you gain from having a short track end? Seems a little silly to use short ends just because you like to ride with the wheel “slammed,” when all that does is reduce flexibility without adding any sort of function.

[quote=“tepr”]
What do you gain from having a short track end? Seems a little silly to use short ends just because you like to ride with the wheel “slammed,” when all that does is reduce flexibility without adding any sort of function.[/quote]

Tepr:

I prefer the way small drop-outs look. As someone who always set’s their bike up with the axle as far forward as possible…the extra length is neither needed (for function) nor wanted (for looks.) One of my favorite details on the Supernaut is how closely the rear tire hugs the seat tube and seatstay yoke. The seatstay yoke, and the seat tube are virtually the same distance from the tire, and the bike can be set up with very “tightly.”

Anyway, the production DO’s have a much longer slot, as per the photos I posted.

You are correct…shorter DO’s do reduce how far back you can run your wheel, which may reduce the bike’s flexibility for some applications. However, so does not designing the frame to accept a 35c tire…or gears. Plenty of do-all-fit-anything bikes out there…the Supernaut is not one of them.

Cheers,

-Landon

Landon (TonicFab): Thanks for the clarification… the headset issue makes sense. Spacers below the bearing instead of above. are there other choices for the fork?

tarckicardia: Thanks for the logic. I expected drama. I found it. Ha.

crushkilldestroy: Nice. Surlys always work.

halbritt: When Toast starts talking about sucking dick, we all lose.

[quote=“doofo”]the plot thickens

in defense of the posters here

we are decent at finding information on the web when it exists[/quote]

Fair enough. Unfortunately our site has taken way to long to update. As I mentioned previously, our new site should be ready shortly.

[quote=“Kabuki”]Landon (TonicFab): Thanks for the clarification… the headset issue makes sense. Spacers below the bearing instead of above. are there other choices for the fork?
[/quote]

I’d like to emphasize two points.

The first is that this style of headset has been around for a while (6 + years) and isn’t going anywhere. I understand the fear over wrecking a headtube, but you couldn’t kill this head tube if you tried. 99% of all BMX frames use it. After 3 years of experience, I believe it is dialed. If it wasn’t an excellent design, it would have been weeded out by now. 10 years from now, these bearings will still be available.

Secondly, I understand if you want to run a King, or simply hate the way our head tubes look, or remain suspicious about the long term durability of these headsets. In that case… we can certainly build a SN with a stardard HT.

As for forks…with the integrated HT it makes sense to run an integrated fork. Virtually all carbon fork makers have integrated versions of their forks. We’ve had good luck with the Alpha Q’s. They have a model with a steel steerer tube that is quite light, decently priced, durable and looks good.

Beyond that, if you wanted a press fit HT…I can get virtually any fork.

Cheers,

Landon.

I’m glad the tonicfab guy showed up and I honestly have no problem at all with his frame.
It’s not for me, but whatever.
It sure was fun watching kabuki get all butthurt thouugh.

So I’m confused on the headset design, at first I’m pretty sure you guys said it was homebrewed but now it looks like you just took sometime from bmx and put it on a fixed. So is it just a campy headset and thats it? If so can I use any campy headset? And can I use any fork?

thanks for doing what youre doing tonicfab, but you might want to punch this “kabuki” gentleman right in the dick. in all likelihood, no one here is going to buy one of your bikes because of him.

It’s nice to know that you’ll build the bike with a normal headset. And it’s also nice that the production dropouts are actually functional. I do think it’s kind of moronic that you run your bike with the rear wheel slammed all the way in, but how you run your bike has nothing to do with how you run your company. Hopefully.

teehee