Totally absurd bike plans that you've thought about doing but will never do: FOREVER edition

Just deal with the xtracycle until kid can ride a kidbike, then sell the xtra and fund whatever cargobike you desire then.

right, but what if I want to get ensnared in a frustrating project that never seems to end and that I totally regret and winds up making it so that I never have a functioning bike?

get a fugn omnium

We have a team of experts working around the clock to ensure your dithering never ends

you can’t practically carry a kid on the front rack of a trad high platform cycletruck, and the longer wheelbase Omnium designs don’t help

a bobike front seat behind the stem does pair extremely well with a cycletruck though!

but having a true cycletruck platform on the front of a longtail solves the problems of both bikes as dadmobiles — kid goes on the back platform with their legs blocking much of the rear cargo area, and most of the crap goes in the front basket with the parental messenger bag on top

the Cyclefab conversion kit makes an Edgerunner fucking awesome

[quote=JUGE FREDD]
but having a true cycletruck platform on the front of a longtail solves the problems of both bikes as dadmobiles — kid goes on the back platform with their legs blocking much of the rear cargo area, and most of the crap goes in the front basket with the parental messenger bag on top

the Cyclefab conversion kit makes an Edgerunner fucking awesome[/quote]

Huh, that’s a really interesting idea, it checks a lot of boxes for my cargo bike needs. Chris Nygaard has some pictures of this setup on Flickr, I think he’s a poster here, or a Tarck-adjacent person, right? I’d like to talk to someone who’s been riding their kid around on a cycletruck conversion, just to make sure that I’m not going to snap the fork buckle the frame.

That’s an awesome setup, but maybe more ideal for a toddler than a preschooler - I’m hoping to get my kid into running board riding life this summer, so that we can get rid of the Yepp Maxi on our Edgerunner. Still, though, for 15-30 months, that would be a really good way to do compact cargo+kid hauling.

I have drooled over many Yuba’s.

I also really like the Kona longbike one from a few years ago.

If I won the lottery tomorrow and the amount was any higher than $6,000 I would gut purchase a Big Fat Dummy.

had a kona ute at the shop i worked at in college

works well as long as the cargo load on the back deck isn’t two adult men. that’ll roach the rear wheel in about 8 miles, in my experience

[quote=mdilthey]I have drooled over many Yuba’s.

I also really like the Kona longbike one from a few years ago.

If I won the lottery tomorrow and the amount was any higher than $6,000 I would gut purchase a Big Fat Dummy.[/quote]
You mean a bullitt

the Ute puts the kids too high if they need to be in seats imho. at least for city riding. if they’re old enough to sit directly on the board that’s probably better.

[quote=iwillbe][quote=JUGE FREDD]

Huh, that’s a really interesting idea, it checks a lot of boxes for my cargo bike needs. Chris Nygaard has some pictures of this setup on Flickr, I think he’s a poster here, or a Tarck-adjacent person, right? I’d like to talk to someone who’s been riding their kid around on a cycletruck conversion, just to make sure that I’m not going to snap the fork buckle the frame.[/quote]
Nygaaaard is the Woooorst

those pictures are almost definitely of our mutual friend Davey Oil’s personal bike:

Davey’s sold hundreds upon hundreds of Edgerunners through his shop G&O and there’s nobody on the planet more knowledgeable or experienced with family bikes. If you give him a call definitely tell him I sent you, he’s the absolute best.

Ah, cool, thanks for the clarification. After a minute of internet sleuthing, it looks as if Nygaard was responsible for testing some Xtracycle stuff at some point, maybe that’s where I’d heard his name. I’ll get in touch with Davey Oil to talk fork conversion kit for my Edgerunner, thanks for recommending him!

Anybody have any experience or thoughts on these: http://www.cycletrucks.com

Longtail + big front basket

LOLOLOL

Good old fashioned ultranerd bike guys. Nygaard is a nice guy, but he’s spent his time testing xtracycles and is mentioned on their site.

What is that kit? cyclefab? I’m tempted to look at cheapass xtracycles just to kitbash one of these together. My wife will kill the fuck out of me if I mutant our current 30D.

Uh, it’s a pretty good fork. Kinda floppy with a bunch of weight on it, but nothing you can’t handle. Having a super tiny front wheel is strange and acts very differently on the road than what you’re used to with a normal size front wheel. There are no mounting points for fenders or lights, but you can kludge that shit with some p-clamps or whatever.
Tiny rim/tire sizing is really confusing if you’re dumb like me. I’d recommend it for budget cargo biking.

[quote=iwillbe][quote=JUGE FREDD]

Huh, that’s a really interesting idea, it checks a lot of boxes for my cargo bike needs. Chris Nygaard has some pictures of this setup on Flickr, I think he’s a poster here, or a Tarck-adjacent person, right? I’d like to talk to someone who’s been riding their kid around on a cycletruck conversion, just to make sure that I’m not going to snap the fork buckle the frame.[/quote]
Oh god! Should I sell the crust fork and get that conversion thing for my xtracycle? Does it use the same size wheel???

sell the fork to spaghett
buy the conversion for yourself
everyone is happy rainbows and sprinkles

he talked at them for years and years until they made him a prototype 29" conversion kit for his horrorshow custom coupled fargo

the kind of guy that’s still using ‘fancy’ Hayes brakes he got for free at Interbike 15 years ago, fully bleeding them multiple times a year and using 203 rotors to make them work at all