Totally absurd bike plans that you've thought about doing but will never do: FOREVER edition

yeah rudy

[quote=JUGE FREDD]
the kind of guy that’s still using ‘fancy’ Hayes brakes he got for free at Interbike 15 years ago, fully bleeding them multiple times a year and using 203 rotors to make them work at all[/quote]
Man, I hate these guys.

he talked at them for years and years until they made him a prototype 29" conversion kit for his horrorshow custom coupled fargo

the kind of guy that’s still using ‘fancy’ Hayes brakes he got for free at Interbike 15 years ago, fully bleeding them multiple times a year and using 203 rotors to make them work at all[/quote]

Yep, sounds right. he was riding his fixed gear with dyads and 28s in 2006, which was sort of in advance of the whole wide road rim thing, but he’s definitely an old shopbro bike nerd with terrible bikes and boxes of moldering magic cards in his basement. Also, thought it was an old shitty Karate Monkey, but I am probably wrong.

it has three karate monkeys worth of headtube

and an uncut 400mm steerer

are you sure its not just a pedersen in knobby tired disguise?

[quote=eric_ssucks]
Yep, sounds right. he was riding his fixed gear with dyads and 28s in 2006, which was sort of in advance of the whole wide road rim thing, but he’s definitely an old shopbro bike nerd with terrible bikes and boxes of moldering magic cards in his basement. Also, thought it was an old shitty Karate Monkey, but I am probably wrong.[/quote]

huh, that sounds not at all in any way like an amalgam of any random five posters here.

gravity dropper.

also, Josh, turn that trek thing into an ork style fixed gear old man bike.[/quote]

Is this the last word? I figure Fred asked for at least 30.9 seat tube a couple weeks ago because it is slim pickins otherwise.

every other option cost the same or more, has ridiculous service intervals/hella issues or costs 500 and is made by thompson.
Fred got some origin 8 knock off dropper thing that held up (I think)?
Get a gravity dropper and a wolf tooth remote and it will work fine, you can service it yourself, but dont really have to.
Ive been on mine for 4 years and it is great.
There is nothing Yolo about warranty bullshit, or taking it to be rebuilt every 3 months, or having to send it back to the manufacturer for service.

I have the older version of this, looks like they fixed the stock remote:

I like it better than the Gravity Dropper because it won’t raise unless you’re preloading the saddle, no nutpunching. It has some play that disappears when you’re sitting on it, and came with the shittiest shift cable ever, but that’s worth it to save $300.

So we’re down to gravity and TMARS for 27.2 I guess? or a $500 thompson…

I like the sound of saving $300

would even let a seat post nut punch me for that much

Has anyone ever integrated a dropper mechanism into a 28.6 o.d. seattube? with a seatmast clamp on top for minimal height adjust?

so,i guess the last time I looked into it the ks, specialized, and x-fusion posts all had major issues with reliability and service.
As far as I can tell there is little motivation to put a ton of effort into 27.2, so I can’t imagine there has been much revision.
There is something from PNW components, but I aint ever even heard of them so whatever, take a 2xx dollar gamble or put on an ugly rubber condomed butt jammer and have fun.

PNW Components is some joker reselling TransX droppers for a 3x markup

they’re the same design that comes OEM rebranded on a lot of bikes

PNW Components is a certified kook. He has access to the Praxis factory, which apparently is intertwined with TransX in some way. He makes nothing, just puts his name on cheap shit. He makes Velo Orange seem legit.

[quote=JUGE FREDD]I have the older version of this, looks like they fixed the stock remote:

I like it better than the Gravity Dropper because it won’t raise unless you’re preloading the saddle, no nutpunching. It has some play that disappears when you’re sitting on it, and came with the shittiest shift cable ever, but that’s worth it to save $300.[/quote]

I need a 27.2 dropper but didn’t want to spend a shit ton of money. This looks perfect

TC: I’m still unclear on what the point of a dropper post really is or why one would want one enough to pay half a bong for one.

prepare your ass to get much more rad descents

you know when you are trying to get low and you drop behind/in front of the saddle? well imagine pushing a button that moved your saddle down.
kaboom.

i always thought it was to protect the tender bits

helps prevent stuff like this: https://youtu.be/leyUyn9wD0w?t=28s

same video will show you can still get rad on such sections with a high saddle, but for most riders it’s easier to jam that shit down to prevent it from pushing you over the front on steep/rocky descents. Also easier to catch air.

a lot of posts have mechanisms that either crap out so they stop doing the uppy-downy thing, or they start sagging when you sit on them, or have play that feels like shit when you’re pedaling. Some companies will say they figured out the fix and want $500 for it, but I haven’t seen anything perfect yet. I also am devoted to like, 3 reverbs so maybe I just like to play with fire.