Totally absurd bike plans that you've thought about doing but will never do: FOREVER edition

My saddle height is over 80cm, with lots of drop even on my low trail bike that has a ton of steerer. Simple physics really. Most of the time I fall off my bike it is by going over the bars. I get a bit more brave on a bike with a dropper. This 95% applies to off road riding.

Only problem with the cheapo ebay one is that it is a straight post, yeah? I could probably slam the saddle back and get my position. The post makes that area look like shit anyway.

I worried about this too, but it’s actually perfect on a mtb

the ability to drop means that the high position can be your full leg extension without fucking you over, so your saddle ends up in a good place fore/aft anyway

[quote=JUGE FREDD]PNW Components is some joker reselling TransX droppers for a 3x markup

they’re the same design that comes OEM rebranded on a lot of bikes[/quote]
I have the Tranz-X model JD-YSP02 27.2 sizeway. Travel is short, but works great for $120.

really has little to do with that in practice

it’s so you can bend your knees and pump the bike

you push the button and now you have a big capable BMX bike

the ability to drop means that the high position can be your full leg extension without fucking you over, so your saddle ends up in a good place fore/aft anyway[/quote]

oh yeah no problem for mtb. I was thinking of the rick jones.

fuck all this im just gonna get a hite rite.

wtb: hite rite

http://www.ebay.com/itm/162545342369?_trksid=p2060353.m2763.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

the ability to drop means that the high position can be your full leg extension without fucking you over, so your saddle ends up in a good place fore/aft anyway[/quote]

oh yeah no problem for mtb. I was thinking of the rick jones.

fuck all this im just gonna get a hite rite.[/quote]

Nope, losing so much functionality.
I rode my MTB on a ton of non technical flat cx courses and dropped the saddle a bunch to hop shit and really push the corners. being able to drop it instantly while riding is the reason to get one.

hmm, that TMARS post is cheap enough for me to consider getting a dropper for the mtb-- I looked into it a while back but they all seemed too expensive for an imperfect product. Is there a better budget option if I’m not restricted by a 27.2 seattube?

(although if i got the TMARS i’d def be putting it on the cross bike at some point)

I really liked my gravitydropper, but not for bikepacking.

[quote=joy of vaping]hmm, that TMARS post is cheap enough for me to consider getting a dropper for the mtb-- I looked into it a while back but they all seemed too expensive for an imperfect product. Is there a better budget option if I’m not restricted by a 27.2 seattube?

(although if i got the TMARS i’d def be putting it on the cross bike at some point)[/quote]

running cx bike 1x with a dropper on the left lever seems like a slick fucking idea.

[quote=Todd][quote=joy of vaping]hmm, that TMARS post is cheap enough for me to consider getting a dropper for the mtb-- I looked into it a while back but they all seemed too expensive for an imperfect product. Is there a better budget option if I’m not restricted by a 27.2 seattube?

(although if i got the TMARS i’d def be putting it on the cross bike at some point)[/quote]

running cx bike 1x with a dropper on the left lever seems like a slick fucking idea.[/quote]
that’s my next road bike, with a 150mm dropper

but one way or another I’m gonna keep my pusher

whoops

Robo shifting with push buttons mounted wherever, left mechanical shifter setup to pull dropper cable?

That option is currently in the lead, R9170 right lever and R9120 left

It doesn’t necessarily require extra buttons either, syncro shift is supported on all the new lines, and their new Di2 levers also have a third programmable button hidden in the hood

[quote=lukasz]

whoops[/quote]

welcome to fop city

So droppers are for trails in not Illinois type places. Got it.

Dt shifter or bar end shifter for the fr derailleur. Allow the left shake to control the dropper

if I don’t di2, the plan is to put a DT shifter near the top of the seat tube with a top-pull CX70

[quote=lukasz]

whoops[/quote]

hope it works for you, the one i had was a waste of time atmo

and for cheap droppers that aren’t 27.2, the ks eten I have has been fine. it’s heavy, doesn’t have much drop, and a bit slow on the return, but it hasn’t developed play and seems to be as good as I’d expect a 100-120 dollar dropper to be