Totally absurd bike plans that you've thought about doing but will never do: FOREVER edition

if I don’t di2, the plan is to put a DT shifter near the top of the seat tube with a top-pull CX70[/quote]
That’s getting dangerously close to Jan’s shift with stick.

[quote=oogens][quote=lukasz]

whoops[/quote]

hope it works for you, the one i had was a waste of time atmo

and for cheap droppers that aren’t 27.2, the ks eten I have has been fine. it’s heavy, doesn’t have much drop, and a bit slow on the return, but it hasn’t developed play and seems to be as good as I’d expect a 100-120 dollar dropper to be[/quote]

Probably won’t be very practicable, but hey another dorky bike trinket!

I’ve demo’d a couple of bikes with KS posts and they have seemed just fine. But I think the long term maintenance is what gets you, right?

if I don’t di2, the plan is to put a DT shifter near the top of the seat tube with a top-pull CX70[/quote]
That’s getting dangerously close to Jan’s shift with stick.[/quote]
Or the arse tickler remote dynamo activator.

[quote=lukasz][quote=oogens][quote=lukasz]

whoops[/quote]

hope it works for you, the one i had was a waste of time atmo

and for cheap droppers that aren’t 27.2, the ks eten I have has been fine. it’s heavy, doesn’t have much drop, and a bit slow on the return, but it hasn’t developed play and seems to be as good as I’d expect a 100-120 dollar dropper to be[/quote]

Probably won’t be very practicable, but hey another dorky bike trinket!

I’ve demo’d a couple of bikes with KS posts and they have seemed just fine. But I think the long term maintenance is what gets you, right?[/quote]
I put my KS on my wifes bike, so its never really been tested. But yeah, long term they seem to suffer the same as all the rest. A friend recently tossed his dropper as he said all his buddies stop at the top of the track to crank up their shin gaurds and the like, so he just undoes his seat collar QR and drops his post while they are doing it. I hate the way the lower riding postion messes with my hill climbing legs! I don’t miss it at all, in fact setting my cleats back which I did for endurance riding reasons did more for my skills than the dropper ever did. YMMV obviously

Love dropper posts but why on a CX bike?

Dilthey You already know. Reread this page.

Yo oogens sell me or give me your hite rite, I’ll send you money or a pdx care package

dude click my ebay link god

[quote=NOVELTYNAME]Dilthey You already know. Reread this page.

Yo oogens sell me or give me your hite rite, I’ll send you money or a pdx care package[/quote]

next time i’m in CA i’ll send it your way. Dont’ know when that’ll be, but all I want is some of that aardvark salsa all the brunch places there seem to have

[quote=joy of vaping]hmm, that TMARS post is cheap enough for me to consider getting a dropper for the mtb-- I looked into it a while back but they all seemed too expensive for an imperfect product. Is there a better budget option if I’m not restricted by a 27.2 seattube?

(although if i got the TMARS i’d def be putting it on the cross bike at some point)[/quote]
The XLC droppers have good rep and seems pretty bombproof. Cable actuated, non hydro, serviceable if you have some knowledge and come in booth “stealth” and external cable-way. Also they have 15mm setback for us long legged freaks! I’m probably getting one for my On one 4560B HT.

[quote=oogens][quote=NOVELTYNAME]Dilthey You already know. Reread this page.

Yo oogens sell me or give me your hite rite, I’ll send you money or a pdx care package[/quote]

next time i’m in CA i’ll send it your way. Dont’ know when that’ll be, but all I want is some of that aardvark salsa all the brunch places there seem to have[/quote]
I had some on my pizza the other day
And I sent some to a buddy in NY last week

gave up all the stupid shit i was gonna do to my grandonneur when i came into the cool jeffrey richman mtb. makes a sick basket bike and i’m thinking maybe a tmars dropper will go well with my sandals while i putter around town. would nearly double the budget for the bike though.

http://www.jensonusa.com/X-Fusion-Hilo-Dropper-Seatpost

What about this thing? It comes in 27.2, might be a promising alternative? It seems like it’s the good kind that doesn’t have preset stops.

Thinking really hard about switching my fat/plus bike to 1x after sweating in the garage fucking around with the front gorilla yesterday. Unfortunately I don’t think I could get the extra-long ESI grips off my Jones bars without destroying them, and I have been trying to roll back my bike dithering and just ride this summer lol

You can get them off, but it sucks. Even the zip tie trick sucks.

After I took my ESI grips off they never were as tight as they originally were. Like They would twist a little and move during really bumpy stuff so I took em off. Still need to buy another set because I really liked them.

I’d leave that stuff alone and just ride…save the sweating and swearing for a winter/bad riding weather day.

yeahhhh that’s where I’m at right now. Figure if I decide to switch anything up, I’ll just order new ESIs from Jones and get a t-shirt too

You can get them off, but it sucks. Even the zip tie trick sucks.[/quote]

At the shop we use an air compressor with a bit of squishy hose on the end that will slip under the edge of the grip and blast the grip off. Easy, if you have a compressor

I’d love to find a nicer/lighter/more modern frameset for my xtracycle.

Current frame is just heavy, majorly oversized tubing, just a slog to ride.

I’m thinking a nicer disc hybrid, stick with 26" in the back and whatever fat tire fits in the front, and slowly weenie out parts where it makes sense. Seatpost, cranks, pedals, stem, bars.
Any frames come to mind as a particularly good fit?

Poke a really thin skinny screw-driver down one end, squirt in some window cleaner. Jiggle it about squirt in more, use gravity to help it flow down into the grip more. Then you can spin the grip around by hand and just wind it off. I use it all the time, the grips don’t stretch and the window cleaner just dissolves away. I guess you called it “Windex” ?