Totally absurd bike plans that you've thought about doing but will never do: FOREVER edition

What kinda tandem?
i put a surly 1x1 disc fork on my mum and dads rigid V brake 26" tandem (cheapy cruiser style) and it’s worked fine so far
As an added bonus the surly stickers come off real easy
due to the longer wheelbase on a tandem changes in AC will have less effect on head angle. the 1x1 was ~20mm tallerbut according to my maths should only have slacked out the HT by ~0.5deg

Idly dreaming of cross/gravel bikes…anyone have thoughts on the Cinelli Zydeco vs Trek Crockett? Both are alu disc frames, come in pretty sweet paint schemes. Trek is probably lighter…

Trek

[quote=DaFROG]What kinda tandem?
i put a surly 1x1 disc fork on my mum and dads rigid V brake 26" tandem (cheapy cruiser style) and it’s worked fine so far
As an added bonus the surly stickers come off real easy
due to the longer wheelbase on a tandem changes in AC will have less effect on head angle. the 1x1 was ~20mm tallerbut according to my maths should only have slacked out the HT by ~0.5deg[/quote]

It’s an Apollo from the 90s/early 2000s. Nothing special but I’ve owned it for 13 years now. My other thought was getting an LHT 26 disc fork, which is almost exactly the same A-C. It’s probably the “sensible” option. Or an Origin 8 POS that weighs 1.5kg.
Even though the weight/riding-style wouldn’t be too extreme I kinda worry how amplified the captain’s weight is by being so far in front of the rear wheel (if I went with a chinacarbon fork). I have one on another bike and it’s been fine but idk.

tandems with children stokers seems like an ideal situation to operate with an extreme abundance of caution.

Yep.
I think I’m gonna go with steel. Cos real and stuff. The guy at Crust reckons a Lightning Bolt fork should handle it as long as I don"t get too rad so maybe I’ll do that - get a bit of low trail action. I like the thru axle bit too, although it means lacing a new wheel.

It’s turning into a big project now, which I didn’t want it to be. But I guess that’s how all my bike projects end up so it’s not a surprise.

I keep thinking about violating everything I’m known for and getting a Midnight Special from Surly, to use as a road bike.

Same, but then realized I have that already in a Coffee Grinder.

I want a Snowaguchi with through axles, disks, and room for fatter tires

Ideally that would mean custom, to nail the exact geometry

Practically that would mean an OPEN UP or Hakka MX

why not XL endpoint?

I’m not low trail crü

But why not?

Why not both tho

Because I don’t give a shit about putting things on the front when I’m not touring
And I have a perfect touring setup as is and no need to change it?

You’re overthinking it. A low trail bike is fine to ride with no load on the front. If you’ve got some whippy frame it’s gonna be terrible with a rear load, but for fuckin about it’s great.

It’s not about rebelling against or overthinking, it’s about not spending money to replace a perfectly good bike

Tarck is about replacing a perfectly good bike with the latest nerdwagon at the cost of a lot of money and time. You’re correct, of course.

Coffee Grinder isn’t low-trail. It just rides like a good road bike.

But also will probably take a while to get.

cg doesn’t have room for fatter tires that he stipulates (i imagine at least 700x40 if thinking about the Open).