Totally absurd bike plans that you've thought about doing but will never do: FOREVER edition

Doesn’t look like they have them on their website now, but this one is.[/quote]
I lied. It’s an ascent, which looks like they replaced with the Outback.

you could probably still hunt down an ascent. I have no idea on the geo though.

curtlo will build a breakway for about 1250, or with s&s for 1400 (both sans fork). the wait is about 3 times whatever he quotes, and you should have a pretty good idea of what you want the geo to look like and probably tell him tire clearance (he built my hardtail, which came out p good, the chainstays are a little longer than i would have liked (I also didn’t care for the bike at first, but have overforked it a bit and now I love it).

Looks like I paid about 1500 for my frame, because I picked a special order powdercoat, shipping costs, and I needed a maxle. That was back in 2015, but he hasn’t updated his price list (it was already 3 years out of date back then, and he said he was still honoring prices on the website).

Looks like I’m gonna do something real, real dumb/fun/awesome on Friday. I’m going to look at a 1973 Raleigh Record Ace.

Not your gaspipe raleigh record, but a carlton workshop built, reynolds 531 double butted, campy dropouts, nervex lugged, campy/DA equipped fancyboi.

I know I shouldn’t buy it, but I want to and I’m going to if it fits me. Supposedly these are even better than the internationals, and definitely rarer.

Shit’s got vertical dropouts and was specced with 700c wheels… in 1973, and it’s likely to be nerdavinden-level noodlebiek.

I almost bought one of those ~25 years ago. They’ve got a pretty solid reputation and I love that white/yellow colorway.

I’ve been on the lookout for a couple years now, not specifically for a RRA, but for any 531 carlton raleigh. I had a gaspipe record for a long time, and even though it was heavy it was my favorite bike. I’m hoping this will take it’s place. To be totally honest, I’m only going to ride it on slow cruises and shit like that. I just want it because it’s an awesome piece of history, that probably rides better than (almost) any other bike I have.

When I was considering buying an RRA I got a NOS Holdsworth Special instead. Paid $400 for frame/fork/headset. It was a little too big for me, but rode beautifully.

DQs about flat mount.
There seems to be no adapter to put flat mount calipers on IS frames, is that true?
If you were building a steel fopmobile today would you go IS or flat?

Flat

Because shimano

adapting an IS or PM frame to a FM caliper is physically impossible

FM frame can be adapted to whatever if there’s seatstay clearance

if you’re building a steel frame it’s totally OK to just use a different caliper in the rear, but the pad standard will be different

if you’re going to put the caliper on the chainstay and the dropouts don’t slide or swing, you should probably go FM

[quote=kmcdon]Looks like I’m gonna do something real, real dumb/fun/awesome on Friday. I’m going to look at a 1973 Raleigh Record Ace.

Not your gaspipe raleigh record, but a carlton workshop built, reynolds 531 double butted, campy dropouts, nervex lugged, campy/DA equipped fancyboi.

I know I shouldn’t buy it, but I want to and I’m going to if it fits me. Supposedly these are even better than the internationals, and definitely rarer.

Shit’s got vertical dropouts and was specced with 700c wheels… in 1973, and it’s likely to be nerdavinden-level noodlebiek.[/quote]

Those Carlton bikes are something special. I had a Super Course that I loved and regret selling. Saw it at the library a few weeks ago completely unchanged sans pizza rack from how I sold it 4-5 years ago. Waited a minute to see if anyone would come out and unlock it so I could tell them how much I loved that bike but ran out of patience.

Awkward like running into your ex.

And waiting for them to leave the library to tell them how much you still love them. But for real, those are cool bikes.

Did you touch the bike tho?