Totally absurd bike plans that you've thought about doing but will never do: FOREVER edition

• E-assist modification for the Cyclefab Cycletruck
  • Update wheels on Trek 720 commuter and go tubeless
  • Maybe paint Elephant NFE disc in outrageous fashion.

hahahahahah did we finally break you?[/quote]

I’m in this insane life-state where I want the Pugsley to be singlespeed AND 3x9 at the same time.[/quote]

A 3x9 bike is 27 single speeds.

Food for thought.

Just say no to 3x9.

My pugs is 2x10 and there’s nothing it won’t go up. Actually it’s geared so low that sometimes I lose momentum and can’t get started again.

[quote=kmcdon]Just say no to 3x9.

[/quote]

I finally ditched 9s in 2017. Backing this statement. 2x10 is a far better choice.

I’d like to reverse engineer and rebuild a halfway decent handlebar rando bag that doesn’t require a rack or decaleur. Just something that can hold a jacket and small camera with a clear top for a phone. Bonus points if it has an integrated cupholder koozie pocket.

Mountain Handle Pack II this thing and a feedbag or two. Seriously.

Building something like the Swift Paloma might be a good plan. Frees up the entire handlebar for hands and if you use the Klickfix Adapter it will be easy to put on and take off.
http://builtbyswift.com/shop/custom-paloma-handlebar-bag/

Anything with a clickfix?

Mountain Handle Pack II this thing and a feedbag or two. Seriously.[/quote]

I have one of these (somewhere) and I can confirm that it’s pretty nice.

Not the biggest thing in the world, but nice nonetheless.

[quote=DumbJim][quote=kmcdon]Just say no to 3x9.

[/quote]

I finally ditched 9s in 2017. Backing this statement. 2x10 is a far better choice.[/quote]

I’ve given it a bit of thought. I want to go with 9S because I want to go with a friction shifter and a Paul Thumbie for touring simplicity, and because I just really like friction.

And the tripel-front is because if I’m gonna run gears, I kinda want a nerd crank. I kinda want a Surly Mr. Whirly so I can keep using the same Enduro bearing BB, which I have really come to love. And, it comes 22-32-44 which is pretty much exactly where I’d want to be anyways. And it comes in 100mm Pugsley style. And I like the look.

But all of this is irrelevant because I haven’t got $250+ to burn. This is the “Never” thread, isn’t it?

:colbert: instead just pull any friction shifter from the parts bin at your local shop (1980s suntour power ratchet is the best)

trippls aren’t nerd cranks

Building something like the Swift Paloma might be a good plan. Frees up the entire handlebar for hands and if you use the Klickfix Adapter it will be easy to put on and take off.
http://builtbyswift.com/shop/custom-paloma-handlebar-bag/[/quote]
Anyone long-term ride this or anything Klickfix? I’ve seen this thing but hard for me to justify 4 packers to try it out. My goal was to eliminate the PDW basket, thinking something like a banana-shaped bum bag with two extra loops and some internal stiffening.

Finally figure out a color to repaint my La Raza and build it up into a logical addition to my already bloated stable. Rainy day road trainer?

Ride a lot so I can race CX in a semi-serious fashion.

MTB for fun only and without pinning a number on all summer.

Race track like maybe 4 times. (OK, that’s a possibly makeable goal).

I don’t think the Mr Whirly is a nerd crank in any configuration.

http://builtbyswift.com/shop/custom-paloma-handlebar-bag/[/quote]
Anyone long-term ride this or anything Klickfix? I’ve seen this thing but hard for me to justify 4 packers to try it out. My goal was to eliminate the PDW basket, thinking something like a banana-shaped bum bag with two extra loops and some internal stiffening.[/quote]

I used a Paloma with Klickfix on a road bike for a couple months when I was between rack-equipped fopchariots. It’s a pretty good setup if you don’t want to/can’t use a rack. I had to angle the Klickfix up a little so the bag would sit level when loaded up. Capacity sounds right for what you’ve listed. Super easy on/off, too, which isn’t always the case with larger bags utilizing decaleurs and velcro and whatnot.

build up my grando frame as a super cheap 700c? basket bike with dt shifters. i don’t really own a lockup bike anymore- i wore through the rims and already have new ones for the endpoint, where all the rest of my parts from the grando are going.
the fork is spot on for a 57mm caliper brake. would need to drill/replace the rear brake bridge but worst case scenario, local effbuilder bro would install a new brake bridge for $50.
zac 19 rims are awful right? could get shitty zac 19 650 wheels for like 60 bucks and leave it 650.

[quote=mdilthey][quote=DumbJim][quote=kmcdon]Just say no to 3x9.

[/quote]

I finally ditched 9s in 2017. Backing this statement. 2x10 is a far better choice.[/quote]

I’ve given it a bit of thought. I want to go with 9S because I want to go with a friction shifter and a Paul Thumbie for touring simplicity, and because I just really like friction.

And the tripel-front is because if I’m gonna run gears, I kinda want a nerd crank. I kinda want a Surly Mr. Whirly so I can keep using the same Enduro bearing BB, which I have really come to love. And, it comes 22-32-44 which is pretty much exactly where I’d want to be anyways. And it comes in 100mm Pugsley style. And I like the look.

But all of this is irrelevant because I haven’t got $250+ to burn. This is the “Never” thread, isn’t it?[/quote]

I’m running an OD crank and 12-36 9 speed cassette if you absolutely have to do 9 speed. It spins out going down just about any hill but works fine otherwise. And honestly if you are running fat wheels all the time I’ve never wanted to go much over 25mph on those anyway

Dude
2x10
No fucking 9 bullshit deadend
No fucking triple

Oh my god shut up all of you.

You oughta read more.