Totally absurd bike plans that you've thought about doing but will never do: FOREVER edition

Ok, what’s a nerd crank? Nerds!

Also what feature about either of my bikes leads anyone to believe i’m going to make any good decisions?

Seriously though you can run 10sp fine if you need to do friction, 9 speed is even acceptable in a 2x config but for the love of all that is holy do not put a triple on there.

Regarding reverse-engineering randobags, I’ve been running my acorn decaleurless since I got it and it’s been fine. Maybe a little sway but nothing annoying. The secret is two huge fattie velcro straps on the bottom and a sturdy velcro mount on the bag.

[quote=mdilthey]Ok, what’s a nerd crank? Nerds!

Also what feature about either of my bikes leads anyone to believe i’m going to make any good decisions?[/quote]

Dunno if I have my nerd bonafides yet (and indeed, i do not own a single nerd crank) but they’re low-q doubles that can accommodate gearing lower than ‘compact’ (=34t inner)

TC: both my bikes are 3x9 cause I’ve been too lazy to replace the two outer rings with a 36. Send help?

[quote=mdilthey][quote=DumbJim][quote=kmcdon]Just say no to 3x9.

[/quote]

I finally ditched 9s in 2017. Backing this statement. 2x10 is a far better choice.[/quote]

I’ve given it a bit of thought. I want to go with 9S because I want to go with a friction shifter and a Paul Thumbie for touring simplicity, and because I just really like friction.

And the tripel-front is because if I’m gonna run gears, I kinda want a nerd crank. I kinda want a Surly Mr. Whirly so I can keep using the same Enduro bearing BB, which I have really come to love. And, it comes 22-32-44 which is pretty much exactly where I’d want to be anyways. And it comes in 100mm Pugsley style. And I like the look.

But all of this is irrelevant because I haven’t got $250+ to burn. This is the “Never” thread, isn’t it?[/quote]
I had real good times friction shifting 10s w/ SunTour Power Rachets + SIS cable + 105 dangler on a mountainous ride; no slips/misfires.
SunRace racheting thumb > Paul Thumby. Shimano SLX 11-36 can be had cheap.

There’s a big difference in not taking off your 3x9 and installing 3x9

[quote=jdsmooth]
I had real good times friction shifting 10s w/ SunTour Power Rachets + SIS cable + 105 dangler on a mountainous ride; no slips/misfires.
SunRace racheting thumb > Paul Thumby. Shimano SLX 11-36 can be had cheap.[/quote]

Thanks for reaffirming my belief. I’m going to 10sp POWA RACHET as soon as my new wheel comes in. Please continue to positively reinforce my silly decisions.

a nerd crank is a 110/74 double

I’ve been friction shifting 10 speed for ages.
This is the most recent setup:

Mig can confirm that it shifts great.

yep
i rode that bike

but but but muh 50.4 crankset can take even smaller rings

hyper nerd cranks

historical reenactment nerd cranksets

Nerdavinden is being converted to DT shifters as the 105 got swapped to the new Vaya. Trying to decide on cranks for the Vaya, almost have convinced myself to treat myself to the ox601d. I know my bad knees will thank me.

I really want to buy a Banshee Prime but it’s financially wise not to.

Debating if I really need any other watches than my Speedy, and if I sell them down, I could totally justify it.

[quote=iwillbe][quote=guccipolo]
5) get the wheelie kids riding mountain bikes on trails[/quote]

This is a legitimately awesome thing to try for. [/quote]
:bear::bear::bear::bear::bear:

let’s get RUSA pins made for La Société Dock Ellis

I’ve been thinking about a future wheelset with ~38mm deep u-shaped aero chinese carbon rims, wide enough to be toroidal profile aero with a 28mm tire

and lace them up 24h 2x with beefy bladed spokes, I could even get a dynamo in there

I know someone who should definitely borrow/rent this from you, and probably buy it if tiny enough

Build a yelli screamy

Chinacarbon OPEN with moist disc but price seems to have jumped up
Good tires and NX or sommat for Stumpy
Send wonky hub back to SV and be without dyno on Lemond for a minute