true confessions (but mostly stealth braggin')

TC No Mans Sky can kiss my fuzzy red balls. What’s this Battlefield thing?

TC I had a couple of beers before putting a basket on my tenderhole and ended up putting it on off-center.
TC Today I caught myself trying to justify leaving it off-center to avoid cutting 10 zip-ties, centering the basket and reattaching with 10 more zip ties.

^lol

I put a lot of work and new stuff on my LHT recently and while previously I was pretty ambivalent about it now TC I love that bike. Helps that I’m fat certainly.

[quote=deadforkinglast]TC I had a couple of beers before putting a basket on my tenderhole and ended up putting it on off-center.
TC Today I caught myself trying to justify leaving it off-center to avoid cutting 10 zip-ties, centering the basket and reattaching with 10 more zip ties.[/quote]

My basket is perpetually off-center, but just ever-so-slightly enough that it doesn’t mess up balance.

[quote=deadforkinglast]TC I had a couple of beers before putting a basket on my tenderhole and ended up putting it on off-center.
TC Today I caught myself trying to justify leaving it off-center to avoid cutting 10 zip-ties, centering the basket and reattaching with 10 more zip ties.[/quote]

Which side? If it’s more on the non-drive side then I think you can justify leaving it as-is, you know, to offset all the drivetrain stuff that’s hanging ot the right.

TC: I was drinking and maybe stoned when I tried to drill my fender for the rear light. I don’t know why I thought it was a good idea, but now the light is all crooked. I’ve thought about removing it and bondoing up the holes, and then redrilling it, but I’ll probably just live with it.

TC: Just baked a berry Galett and then ate half of it.
TC: Trying real hard not to go eat the rest.

[quote=jimmythefly][quote=deadforkinglast]TC I had a couple of beers before putting a basket on my tenderhole and ended up putting it on off-center.

Which side? If it’s more on the non-drive side then I think you can justify leaving it as-is, you know, to offset all the drivetrain stuff that’s hanging ot the right.[/quote]
You’re totally right. Right now it sticks out more on the NDS, so it’s definitely offsetting the drivetrain…stuff.

Also the basket has an odd number of front-to-back wires, so actually centering it would make it so that I couldn’t wrap the zip ties around the rack at the points where the wires cross, which seems like it would be less stable.

It also seems like it would require a non-zero amount of effort and I think I’ve put in my effort for the week. I don’t notice the off-center-ness unless the basket is empty, which it never is when I’m on the bike.

¯_(ツ)_/¯

TC: I’m way too bike dumb and impatient to attempt to put on my own fenders. Rode into work today with them in my basket looking like a doofus.

I had a fender bolt snap once and I rode about 20 miles home with my fender in a basket. Kept falling out every time I hit a bump.

I just drunk messaged Yummy, and there were typos and a lack of editing due to enthusiasm.

TC: Since my mentor basically created my entire career, I’ve made it a point to go out of my way to help aspiring designers get started in their career, whether it be by helping them decide which field to go into, helping them find internship programs, teaching them how to rewrite and optimize their resumé, or coaching them on how to interview.

I have two success stories so far: one of my friends got hired by Mule Design, by Mike Monteiro, the ‘fuck you pay me’ guy. Another one just got into a certain cycling clothing company we all know.

At this point, it’s more rewarding than actually being a designer.

HY, David. Perhaps the mentoring has become your calling? Stoked you’re stoked on getting other folks started right!

I had no idea, but that is excellent and also desperately needed in the creative fields. So many folks including myself just stumble around blindly in the direction of what they want, because proper mentorship and guidance is so hard to come by. There were three critical moments (senior year HS, midway through Arch school, and after my first recession layoff) where I had little or no guidance and I don’t want others to have to go through that.

What can I do to help? I’m not an authority by any stretch but I can offer some lessons learned.

Someone said it, that after a certain age you’ve done all you can do to contribute to the culture, and your job now is to enable the up and comers their shot at it. I’m also just done with design - the process, the hewing to current trends, etc. - so it’s a good time to bow out and get into consulting.

run a university design department or something.

I skipped right over the “doing” stage and went right to “teaching.” I get 100% of my joy in life from building up other people. My course is an intro for first-years for research, collaborative project work, writing, critical thinking… taking a fresh-outta-high-school kid and showing them that they can contribute to the knowledge in their field and build a career for themselves, there’s something very life-affirming about it.

TC: I ride my fatbike on the street all the time, like at least 2-3 times a week.

We get 93% of our joy in life from tearing people like you down.

Mods: plz to be changing avatar handle to Shut Up Ned Flanders.

[quote=tehschkott]We get 93% of our joy in life from tearing people like you down.

Mods: plz to be changing avatar handle to Shut Up Ned Flanders.[/quote]

I thought this was the True Friendship and Life Purpose thread

TC: Was in VeloCult in PDX this weekend. Rolled the Logan through to look at Swift Bags, and then back out on the QT. Half hour later chatting with guy at the bar and he stops me and says “hey what was that bike, can you bring it back in? Was great build!” So I go out and bring it in so they could oogle. A bit after they’re going over supwifes 650b Mr Pink - after a moment they realize that’s also my build.

Maybe I’m wrong, but getting a head nod from VeloCult bros feels sorta tough - bike shop cool-bike immunity on high in there. Dunno. Felt good to get unsolicited high fives from tough crew of proper bike jerks on not 1, but 2 of my bikes.

/scuffle scuffle kicks rocks

Or yano. Whatever.

Shut up.