What did you do to your bike today?

fucking cheese rod though. A+ for that one!

Had issues with my turbine dropper yesterday. From the get go it wouldn’t stay down. That quickly turn into wouldn’t stay up.
Thought I read the picture graphic about resetting it correctly. Annoyingly they say to leave the 1-2mm of play in the lever, then add some tension.
Didn’t work.
Got home, watched their youtube troubleshooting, and guy says to take the play out, then go for about two full rotations to preload the brake. I think that worked. No longer drops when I sit on it.
edit: definitely still did it before the ride today. Gave me a chance to take the Following out. Feels weird switching between XL bikes with such a large difference in reach numbers.

Today: Rode it through some grim exurbs for like 4 hours. Satisfied my curiousity as to why everyone rides southeast out of RVA as opposed to ENE. Was slowly driven mad by a clicking sound I’m 90% sure is coming from one of my pedals, which is funny because…

Yesterday:
pulled the cranks and bb to regrease and retighten, make sure everything was nice and tight in there, because there had been an annoying clicking sound that started up halfway through my previous ride. Yesireebob, that’ll do it, no need to check the chainring bolts or pedals because I’m a genios mechanic

When I was in TN my friend jumped on my bike and noticed a creak. Initially said it was the right pedal. He had managed service at big indy set of shops, so I pulled it and greased it. After one small creak it went away within a few pedals strokes when I got to windrock. Later, he asks if it stopped. Yup.
Then he said he realized it was the crank bolt being loose and he tightened it for me, all before we left.

But today I started hearing a small creak on the evil. I know the saddle makes hella noise, so that will be my first guess. Then I will see if I tightened the same truvativ descendent bolt tight enough.

Took the doublecross with the origin8 unicrown out for a shakedown ride. Not sure about the chinESIs on the swept back bars. The Byways were smooth as a jan’s heine.

[quote=liquify]When I was in TN my friend jumped on my bike and noticed a creak. Initially said it was the right pedal. He had managed service at big indy set of shops, so I pulled it and greased it. After one small creak it went away within a few pedals strokes. He asks if it stopped. Yup.
Then he said he realized it was the crank bolt being loose and he tightened it for me.[/quote]

This is funny because I worked with him and remember him spending a day trying to find a clicking sound that turned out to be a toestrap, which we told him was the culprit when he started in on the project but he never listens to anyone.

[quote=liquify]Too big for ortlieb.
Lukasz bought some smaller diameter carbon rods and I think had to also use electrical tape to get the thickness right for the ortlieb connectors.[/quote]

correct. Just search ebay/amazon/alibaba/whatever for “carbon tube”

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2060353.m570.l2632.R2.TR11.TRC1.A0.H0.Xcarbon+tube.TRS0&_nkw=carbon+tube&_sacat=2562

Actually was inspired by paris’s decaleur work in this thread and finally adjusted mine for the rack I’ve been using for the past year, used new accessory mounts for the decaleur, and experimented with a new method for making the carbon rod a bit thicker and more grippy for the Ortlieb mount (skateboard grip tape and gorilla tape in lieu of electrical tape, which shredded over time).

[quote=Tail Hook Lengthener][quote=liquify]When I was in TN my friend jumped on my bike and noticed a creak. Initially said it was the right pedal. He had managed service at big indy set of shops, so I pulled it and greased it. After one small creak it went away within a few pedals strokes. He asks if it stopped. Yup.
Then he said he realized it was the crank bolt being loose and he tightened it for me.[/quote]

This is funny because I worked with him and remember him spending a day trying to find a clicking sound that turned out to be a toestrap, which we told him was the culprit when he started in on the project but he never listens to anyone.[/quote]
I mean, this Josh is pretty scatterbrained. Maybe from all the downhilling. The not listening thing checks out. How else can you just will yourself to not be allergic to cats in a day. Wife was friends with them all in IN, and I met him and his wife at a race or two and then their wedding.
But I told him he needs to get a bike and do the Windrock enduro in June. He was already beating other people’s times highposting his anthem when they were going full enduro on other trails in the area. He liked the feel of the Jekyll.

[quote=liquify]Had issues with my turbine dropper yesterday. From the get go it wouldn’t stay down. That quickly turn into wouldn’t stay up.
Thought I read the picture graphic about resetting it correctly. Annoyingly they say to leave the 1-2mm of play in the lever, then add some tension.
Didn’t work.
Got home, watched their youtube troubleshooting, and guy says to take the play out, then go for about two full rotations to preload the brake. I think that worked. No longer drops when I sit on it.
edit: definitely still did it before the ride today. Gave me a chance to take the Following out. Feels weird switching between XL bikes with such a large difference in reach numbers.[/quote]

Motorbacon has the secret for making those posts work real nice. IIRC it’s basically to adjust the cable hella loose and grease the mechanism super duper well. Also something about never re-using a cable after it’s been installed.

Installed a Fizik Aliante Large. I was pushing someone here to buy one to see if it compared favorably to the C17 (which it strongly resembles in dimension). I tested it in the lot next to my place, and so far, feels… good? A little firmer? I’m going to get out on it for a couple of hours tomorrow, weather permitting.
It would be nice if Brooks inspired other saddle makers to make 155-160mm width saddles a more normal part of their lineup. It’s certainly closer to how wide my sit bones are.
I’m going to try an “all weather” C17 next, curious if it feels different than the regular one.

Also, pulled the pedals of my road bike, cleaned the threads on the pedal and the crank, regreased, reinstalled. Now if the creaking continues, I’ll know it’s the chainring bolts.

Removed the old Freight Baggage Dual Road Soda from my CycleTruck and replaced it with two Jandd Anywhere Bottle and Grub Bags.
These things fit perfect along the head tube and utilize the wasted space well. I didn’t need to use any of their straps since they have 3 Molle strips which I used to zip-tie directly to the frame.

Lower straps attach perfectly to the Cycletruck platform/downtube extension!!!

[quote=Tail Hook Lengthener][quote=liquify]When I was in TN my friend jumped on my bike and noticed a creak. Initially said it was the right pedal. He had managed service at big indy set of shops, so I pulled it and greased it. After one small creak it went away within a few pedals strokes. He asks if it stopped. Yup.

This is funny because I worked with him and remember him spending a day trying to find a clicking sound that turned out to be a toestrap, which we told him was the culprit when he started in on the project but he never listens to anyone.[/quote]
I once spent a couple maddening hours chasing a click on Ash’s bike that turned out to be the zipper on her boot hitting the bottle cage as she pedaled.
Felt like a real boob about that one.

This is what the old Freight Baggage Dual Road Soda looked like. It worked well but designed to be open at the bottom (allow spilled soda) with a strap support and my phone/wallet could easily fall through or bounce out. Also didn’t hold a waterbottle very well.

Holla if you’re interested, going to put up on CL soon.

[quote=Rusty Piton][quote=Tail Hook Lengthener][quote=liquify]When I was in TN my friend jumped on my bike and noticed a creak. Initially said it was the right pedal. He had managed service at big indy set of shops, so I pulled it and greased it. After one small creak it went away within a few pedals strokes. He asks if it stopped. Yup.

I once spent a couple maddening hours chasing a click on Ash’s bike that turned out to be the zipper on her boot hitting the bottle cage as she pedaled.
Felt like a real boob about that one.[/quote]
ha ha. Been there. Was a zip on top tube for me. Cranks, pedals, chain-rings were all removed and or swapped in the process.

[quote=liquify]When I was in TN my friend jumped on my bike and noticed a creak. Initially said it was the right pedal. He had managed service at big indy set of shops, so I pulled it and greased it. After one small creak it went away within a few pedals strokes when I got to windrock. Later, he asks if it stopped. Yup.
Then he said he realized it was the crank bolt being loose and he tightened it for me, all before we left.

But today I started hearing a small creak on the evil. I know the saddle makes hella noise, so that will be my first guess. Then I will see if I tightened the same truvativ descendent bolt tight enough.[/quote]

Pretty sure I fixed a similar noise on fatbike yesterday by tightening rear TA. I mean, I THINK it’s fixed.

Because Varina is pretty and Mechanicsville is fucking terrible. Look at the county maps and school maps the learn why. High tax country land with no schools to show for it.

Put brakes and a drivetrain on this camping bike I’m building.

Because Varina is pretty and Mechanicsville is fucking terrible. Look at the county maps and school maps the learn why. High tax country land with no schools to show for it.[/quote]

I got totally bad vibes in Mechanicsville. Bike Route 76 runs right through it, but I get the sense that VDOT isn’t super worried about making it a usable bikeway. I can handle a shoulderless road with a high speed limit, but man, more casual cyclists would have a horrible time getting through there - it’s like a parody of terrible American bicycling infrastructure.
Whatever, though, I’m sure there are nicer, smaller roads around there, I’d like to cruise along the Chickahominy.

Back on thread topic:
I’m going to test the Aliante Large I put on yesterday, see if it’s a suitable alternative to a C17.

Did one of those really dumb things today changing travel on dvo diamond fork.

Popped out the air spring cartridge like the video had (didn’t have the pdf on that page, though they said they did). While unscrewing it, I did that really silly thing of talking to other and forgetting to let the air out. Only after finding the pdf (actually easy to find on their page, but not on google search) did they say to let it out before banging out the cartridge (video tells you to let it out after it is in the vice). Luckily I only am wearing a bit of 7.5w oil now. Small part of the plastic piece covering the ott spring is cracked, but seems fine overall. Just going to run it and wait to see if I hear any clicks.

All seems right now, but still a bit shaken coz stupidity and loud boom (that the evidently didn’t hear upstairs).

[quote=jeffro][quote=liquify]When I was in TN my friend jumped on my bike and noticed a creak. Initially said it was the right pedal. He had managed service at big indy set of shops, so I pulled it and greased it. After one small creak it went away within a few pedals strokes when I got to windrock. Later, he asks if it stopped. Yup.

But today I started hearing a small creak on the evil. I know the saddle makes hella noise, so that will be my first guess. Then I will see if I tightened the same truvativ descendent bolt tight enough.[/quote]

Pretty sure I fixed a similar noise on fatbike yesterday by tightening rear TA. I mean, I THINK it’s fixed.[/quote]
More confessions, also fixed a wicked creak the other day that I assumed was a rear wheel thing. It was the front QR !