What did you do to your crosscheck today?

Did they not leave fish lines in the frame for routing?

I probably should replace the housing on the road bike, which will involve fishing cable.

1 Like

Did a good ride and the bikes were tired at the end so we let them take a nap on a sunny hillside.

Ride was 43 miles and 3300 ft. One of the best rides I’ve done up here in WA and an excellent ride with Cornelia. She’s an awesome riding partner.

19 Likes

Yeah, hidden lines are style over function. The insult to injury is that they’ve been doing it for decades and still can’t get it right

1 Like

I can think of a few that have managed to get it right. But not many.

1 Like

They left some plastic hose in. It could have been worse. But you know… tight bend on the dropper housing, cut the hose on the hydraulic brakes, bleed. Idk. Maybe I’m over building up bikes? I remember everything being more compatible and like you were building with Lego. Modern bikes feel more like assembling a plastic model kit- everything has to go together the way it has to go.

2 Likes

It’s more impressive that anyone is still getting it wrong. Like if your assembly instructions include sewing thread and a dust buster, would you not be like “welp, back to the drawing board”?

2 Likes

I was apprehensive when I built up my Ibis Ripley but they appear to be one of the few companies to have done it right? All the internal routing had full tubes, so no faffing around with fishing line or whatever - just shove the housing through. Good diagrams on how to route all the lines at the entries and exits, too.

2 Likes

Kyle,I’m amazed at your restraint - you bought a new bike yesterday but didn’t ride it. I’m not sure I could Abe done that.

1 Like

It’s just become so common, most folks already have the tools for it.

It does suck sometimes though.

3 Likes

I think the model kit comparison is apt in an increasing number of cases. Serviceability is definitely not a top consideration with many brands.

Especially the ones that are making aero bikes that don’t utilize a threadless fork/stem/headset assembly. You fucked up. Start over.

2 Likes

Wasn’t really an option. We already had a ride on the calendar and that wasn’t gonna change just because there was a new bike.

2 Likes

Practiced manuals. In all the time I’ve been riding never taken the time to get good at it

6 Likes

Sorted out the wheels and fenders. Stoked to ride this goofy thing.

8 Likes

i tried so hard a few summers ago to get good at this on a bmx bike i bought off craigslist. could just never get comfortable with it and looped out too many times to count. on the trail i can manual effectively enough to get through something, i figured that was fine and i’ve given up on my quest to manual around the neighborhood

1 Like

I can manual well enough to be useful on the trail. It would be pretty sweet if I could learn to do it like Jeff Kendall Weed.

I have never been able to manual, just can’t seem to get the front end up with a weight shift to save my life.

1 Like

same, I can’t get weight back far enough. I think it’s easier for taller folckx?

I’m 6-3, no excuse

It’s annoying watching shorter guys manualing dh bikes when I’m 6’3 and have trouble doing it with a trials bike.

i am 5’9 and just hate the feeling that the back of my skull is one wrong move away from shattering on the pavement