What did you do to your crosscheck today?

Successfully (?) installed bsa 30 bb with spacers and Easton Cinch attachment crankset. Fucking never again. Bike is probably getting RotoR cranks instead, watch the sales forum for impending deal

3 Likes

Went for a mup ride on the road bike. Forgot how effortlessly fast road bikes are.

3 Likes

i have had the parts in hand for nearly a year (and apparently have thinking about it for 3+ years) and I finally did it:

Y’know how Grant thinks that ditching Rapid Rise was a bad move on Shimano’s part? I kind of un-ironically love dual-control levers. I’m seriously debating putting my spare XT left lever on my “real” mountain bike to run the dropper.

21 Likes

Dammit that is beautiful

1 Like

Why

1. mounting method seems kinda dumb at best
  2. 16mm hex key sleeve for the nds crank? why?
  3. plastic all over the place in the bb
  4. preload is massively stupid design
  5. bb install instructions are impossible to correctly follow
  6. separate spider seems like it could be handy, but also, another failure point.
  7. another bottom bracket, another specific wrench, another $30 I’ll put to use a handful of times at best.
  8. many spacers included with bb, no way of knowing how much spindle you’re supposed to have exposed with you start reefing on the ds fixing bolt (up to 50 newtons). Like, “you’ll have a little play when you’re done” is not a measurement.

Basically as cooled-off as I am with Shimano these days, I think that the Hollowtech II bb/crank assemblage is best way I’ve seen to do a crank, all the more so after seeing what kind of bullshit people cook up to avoid patent /copyright infringement.

5 Likes

Ok so you’re telling me the EC90SL, even though fair priced and weighed, really is a no-go with the BB standard

2 Likes

I mean let me come back to this crankset I put together today, see if it can be set up in a way that I am confident is correct, ride it for a while, and get back to you.

If it helps influence your decision, I’m currently comparing Rotor’s Aldhu and Vegast cranks to see which one I’m going to replace this shitshow with.

1 Like

Braden already vouched for the aldhu

What’s the difference with vegast?

I also see that carbon praxis

Vegast is cheaper, but looking at the NoQ DM chainrings at $255, I’m wondering if it’s actually worth it.

I have an aldhu 24 with the power2max spider sitting here for future bike, it seems pretty nice but no experience with installing it yet.

3 Likes

Mounted carbon dead-ender wheels and appropriate pads to my steel gravel bike for the ultimate combination of ridiculous.

2 Likes

Goddammit, I love this.

Except that rear light wire, but I can’t think of how to make it any nicer, so…?

1 Like

What’s that rack on the front?

Easy enough to fab a bracket to mount the light on the dt rack bosses

Rings are getting too goddamn expensive! But Aldhu24 is a very good crank.

If you’re ever doing power Power2max offers a 110 5 bolt option for current rotor cranks which saves quite a bit of money in the long run.

Sadly the 46/30 option from rotor is a 1 piece spider/ring.

When I am forced to retire one of my current 3d24 cranks I’ll be going this route.

2 Likes

I bought the 4-bolt Shimano spider because worst case I can hunt down some 105 rings, but I’m also happy with 50/34 and don’t need to go lower.

The carbon aldhu looks pretty sweet too, but no 24mm axle option there afaik.

what’s the good 30mm BSA BB? Chris King ThreadFit? I’m assuming that the Raceface thing I installed is total shit, based on the amount of plastic in it and how bad the bearings fit before ever touching a spindle.

Ck bbs are serviceable parts
That is, you better service it or it’s gonna blow up.

2 Likes

The Race Face / Easton units are one of the better ones in my experience. Definitely better than any of the MUSA ones that are just Enduro bearings in some cups the machined.

It has better seals inside which is seriously overlooked by quite a few companies (cough cough WI).

Sadly, none of them are great since they all use a metal on metal spindle/bearing interface (except King). Sram finally figured this out with later PF30 and got Dub right but isn’t going to bother with any BSA30 stuff.

The limited experience I have with CC Hellbender stuff is good, but I don’t think it’s going to be worth the premium over a RF/E cinch unit.

3 Likes