What did you do to your crosscheck today?

What about some coiled wire? Like a telephone handset.

Oh right I always forget there are a lot of smaller, worse brands out there. I’m looking at the EA90 cranks and Raceface BB and seeing lots of plastic where I’d like to see aluminum or steel, but time will tell if it’s actually a problem.

I’m going to try again with this setup this morning, see if I can get it to have the right amount of play before preloading by means of my own guesswork. As previously mentioned, the supplied parts don’t work together as the instructions dictate, so I’m using my best judgement.

The Hellbender seems not unreasonably priced compared to CK, and if it’s the same quality level as their midprice headsets, then I’m happy to set and forget for $120

In my experience, plastic is better in these circumstances. Plastic inner sleeve seals better because it can conform to where it fits into the cups better. Those plastic dust covers work well too. For whatever reason how they work as a labyrinth seal seems to do better than the rubber seals on a wheels mfg unit (or similar).

I only wish they used undersized bearings and a derlin top hat seal like the 2nd gen Sram PF30 units.

1 Like

the plastic sleeve for the Raceface bb had to go, it was the wrong size for the bottom bracket shell. I think someone may have mixed and matched wrong when tossing parts into the box.

Plastic’s ability to usefully deform to seal things is great, but for bb spacers and threaded preload rings? I kinda wonder if it’s the ideal material

Ah yes. The Easton version has the correct sleeve.

You definitely want to get one in there if you can. In the worst of covid times I had to trim some down and sand them to fit. Definitely worth the effort.

The early Cinch preloaders were alu, and I have seen some plastic ones crack from over tightening. So be careful. And if you have to turn it more than twice you shone shim it first.

I horde the aluminum spacers that come with Sram stuff and swap them in when I have the chance, but I’ve never actually seen a plastic spacer fail on one of these.

Fix the internal sleeve and probably yolo for 6-10k kms.

1 Like

yeah, setting it up sleeveless doesn’t seem ideal. I whittled it down a little but it was still bulging so I yoloed it. I’m about to take the whole thing apart again, so if I didn’t throw the sleeve away, I’ll try taking off a little more.

The bb shim situation is totally baffling. I am within a mm of the correct installed width, and it’s clearly way too wide, like the spindle length supplied to me differs from what they were working with when drawing up installation instructions.

It’s pretty frustrating, but if I can get it all together correctly enough, I guess I’ll just ride it for a while and hope for the best.

Thanks for the insight into this stuff, it’s good to know that I’m not totally off base.

I want to say a typical install of an Easton crank on a 68mm shell is with one 2.5mm spacer on each side. You MIGHT then add 1-3 of those .1(?)mm plastic shims to minimize how much you have to thread the preloader out. I assume the extra spindle and spacers to allow for some sort of PF383 or (pre- @ProCracknfailBro ) Cannondale shenanigans I have not encountered. But yeah, it’s dumb.

2 Likes

Probably correct, and don’t forget BBRight. Press fit messes with so much because unlike bb30 it’s referencing the face of the shell and the concentricity of the shell so any lack of control on those surfaces can make things dumb. Spacers and adjustable preload were in crank manufacturers best interest.

4 Likes

In my stand this week… PFBBRIGHT and a PF30A Superslice… both getting Shimano cranks. Guess which one had the WRONG bottom bracket installed by a pro rider’s shop and had not even close to enough spindle in the HT2 cranks that came off?

Thank you for your service trying to fix this kind of shit.

If every other crank company would just commit to 24 or whatever the fuck DUB is the world would be a better place.

I hope your predecessors now see their error in using a 6806 bearing and not designing room for some derlin between the race and spindle.

1 Like

it’s from a company called 7Roads in western Ukraine. might be out of stock for the foreseeable future…

1 Like

I really like the light up high for better visibility but yeah probably gonna stick the light on the bosses at the top of the seatstay - because I am absolutely going to catch that loose taillight wire on something, somehow, and tear the wiring out

with a 2.5 on each side the ds crankarm bolt was pulling the preload against the dustcap, which seemed wrong. With a single 2.5 on the nds, the preload needed about two turns.

I whittled and sanded the internal bb sleeve down, but I think I’m going to replace the bottom bracket with something I trust.

This whole thing has been an expensive and frustrating waste of time and money. My advice to anyone considering Easton cranks or bottom brackets: look elsewhere.

So what’s good for t47 30mm bbs?

You’re still going to be messing about with spacers with any BSA30 bottom bracket. Sad but true.

1 Like

If it is an 86 or 92 MM shell I would get the Token T47V386. Token stuff punches above its weight in general and all the fancy WheelsMFG/Enduro ones are not going to last any longer but will cost 3-5x the price.

Road frame, 68

it was the combo of bad spacer advice in the installation instructions, cheap nylon preload ring, and incorrect sleeve. The cranks seem as if they’d be ok with a nicer (Cane Creek Eewings) preload, and the bottom bracket would work better if it returned to the hell that spawned it

JBI has an Origin8 branded Token (older design) that is decent especially for the price. Of all the fancy pants one the Cane Creek Hellbender is the only one I would bother with. T47 is such a lousy “solution” IMO. Everyone was trying to find a way to make 30mm spindle cranks less of a liability when they should have just been making 30mm spindle cranks a thing of the past.

1 Like

Damn.
Had seen that one and thought it was perfect until I saw where it was from. Bummed.

after six years of neglect I decided to do some upgrades to the family bike.

ordered some of the foot rest fittings that I’ve been wanting since I pulled off the yepp baby seat (four years ago). even though the website says they fit “all edgerunner models” I must have an atypical or prototype model because they are about 5mm too short to fit. god damn it

I think we are going to have to DIY them, anyone want a set of $150 edgerunner foot rests that are scratched up from me trying to install them?

then I went to work on my polyvalent and discovered that the lowrider racks I had on there are NOT compatible with the Hayes CX brakes I got. so I busted out the Tubus Tara rack which do work… but the orcrack interferes with the cross bar. GOD DAMN IT

that’s enough bikes for today, I hate them

4 Likes