What did you do to your crosscheck today?

Was annoyed trying to get the BIGANT crate folded to bring the Crust fork home with the rats nest of straps in the crate. Redid the straps so there’s only a short piece captured and a long piece that can be removed and used separately. Seems okay for spending zero dollars.

Also tightened some fasteners on the bike.

2 Likes

Past time to bin that rotor too.

2 Likes

Is it? How do you know when a rotor is roached? Most of mine look way worse than Doug’s.

Works for rims too

1 Like

That transition from the braking surface shows how thinned they are.

7 Likes

it has 4,500 miles on it, is that too many? I am constantly slowing down, biking is dangerous

8 Likes

I just did a lever bleed on a brand new deore XT brake because it felt like dodo. When I started pumping the lever the bubbles just kept coming! Every time I thought it was over, another one popped up! Seemed like the tube was like 3/4 full.

For my entire ride today I wondered what to do about two things:

1. make my bike feel longer
  2. how to fix the creaking snap, crackle and pop of that damn BB30 region

Number one was easier than I thought, I moved my saddle back. I should really get a proper set back post instead of the Thomson.

Number 2 is more trickier, I would usually pull the BB, clean it and chuck it back in with new grease but I can’t do that with BB30 bearings, can I?

you can just use a caliper to measure thickness on the braking surface; shimano rotors should be replaced at 1.5mm (printed on the rotor)

2 Likes

ive never managed to wear out a rotor. i feel like some kinda phony

I don’t think I have either. It’s real flat here. The only reason I’ve replaced rotors is when they get all corroded from road salt and no amount of sanding and cleaning can save them.

I have, but it took me years. It’s one of those maintanence things that only occurs to me when I’m swapping parts from one bike to another.

1 Like

I don’t think I’ve ever kept a bike long enough to wear out rotors. Or brake pads. Been years since I’ve worn out a set of brake pads. My bikes have been become garage queens anyways.

2 Likes

yea, it depends a lot on many factors- riding conditions, road surface, pad type, rotor model. some combinations just wear out faster than others and especially if you’re riding every day in real shitty conditions. there’s a reason those lower end rotors are resin pad only

1 Like

The rotors on my HG are extremely worn out and will probably continue to be

2 Likes

I just measured that rotor, 2.25mm thick. So I’m good

3 Likes

What, did you put two of them together to that thickness?

1 Like

2.25 nanometers thick

i did a little amateur rewiring project to move the headlights on both ebikes to a better place.

pretty happy with it. need to put a sleeve over the connections.

i can’t figure out how to deal with the existing wiring for the saddle-mounted light, so i think i’m just going to snip it and shoot a whole new wire through the frame.

8 Likes

might wanna check again- that’s thicker than brand new rotors (which are 1.9mm or so depending on brand)

1 Like