What did you do to your crosscheck today?

The J Peterman Catalog of bike parts

7 Likes

I tried minibars, and it was awful, you’re trying to steer the bike by side-loading your wrist ligaments.

putting full size skipole aero bars on a road bike set up for a nice long reach to the drops was also not great, back flat, knees to chest, upper arms way stretched past vertical.

Might just not be a great way to make it happen

Yeah… bike fit is very specific to get it to work with aerobars. There’s a reason most triathletes have their seats higher and shoved way forward to make the position work. Without other accommodations, you just end up too stretched out, hips too closed, etc.

Bar swaps are very common at the track to switch from mass start to TT mode and usually this also means moving spacers and other easy adjustments when there’s no brakes and shifters involved. I didn’t care enough to mess with saddle position in that situation - the TTs were so short you can just scootch forward on the seat and make it work. I also used the relatively “flat” s bend aerobars, which are pretty terrible on the wrist, but they make fit easier as you dont need to reach to the ski bends and can just hold on where it’s comfortable.

2 Likes

I was probably not helping myself by also trying to continue using a C17 on this bike

I put a frame bag on while I continue to wait for the end of winter…

5 Likes

Today was my first day of funemployment, so I spent some time tinkering in the garage. I tried my hand at polishing up some old cranks using what I had (220 grit wet/dry paper, 3M pads, 0000 steel wool, and some Mothers polish). Not great but not bad. Good enough to leave it alone though

24 Likes

Don’t forget a clearcoat!

This is objectively the dumbest bike I’ve embarked on yet, but the parts have largely fallen into my lap. It’ll get a dynamo and set of Pub rims.

21 Likes

Awesome. I loved my old On One. @scrub still owns it, I believe.

1 Like

good luck with aerobars!

1 Like

Yea, yes I do. Love my Pompino.

2 Likes

I was JUST pondering spinning a setback dropper post around to set forward mode on my dumb single speed that I ruined the geo on by overforking and mullet wheeling. STA is too slack now. I jammed the seat forward in that way that breaks seat rails. If it still doesn’t feel right, then backwards dropper is up next.

1 Like

Recently bought an old crank from Jimmy after realizing it was the same model originally spec’ed on my old Stumpjumper. Put it on today to figure out what width BB it needs for single speed use. Reinstalled the other crank since that width isn’t in my bin. While it was in the stand, flipped the rear wheel and put a 20T freewheel on the unused side of the hub and cleaned up some surface rust on the spindles of some old Suntour XC II pedals, also consumed from the Jimmy bin, and installed them.

2 Likes

I put on my new French frame bag

In full bike camping form no bags will match or be the same color, as god intends

I also cleaned up the horrible mess in my bike space a little

Edit: after taking this photo I relaced the bag mount so the front loop is on top of the tube, not under. How embarrassing

14 Likes

For your baguette?

4 Likes

C’ette un sac pour le baguette

1 Like

carrying baguettes with only a front bag IS indeed awkward.

3 Likes

i just use a voilà strap

9 Likes

Found a replacement Dia Compe 95 ferrule at the Bike Kitchen, to replace the one that shot off into purgatory when I was originally disassembling this bike. Finished brake cabling and wrapped the bars, those Brooks rubber bar end plugs received a lot of profanity.

Also, spurcycle dinger and bird cages.

10 Likes

is your top tube exorbitantly long or does the neon pink just give it that look?

a bike with all matching bags looks worse than a hodge podge atmo

1 Like