What did you do to your crosscheck today?

1 Like

Bookmarking this!

I bought a soma fork for my son’s bike but ill want to upgrade mine next

It is ridiculous but very satisfying

Installed my first headset with my brand new parck tool… upsidedown smh. Thankfully they are identical so it’s fine

12 Likes

I just found my ancient headset tool the other day

Thought I might need it for new mountain bike. Lol nope. The fork crown is split ring, went on by hand. Bearings “pressed” into carbon frame by hand. Took all of 1 minute. This is how headsets should have always been.

6 Likes

CK said integrated headsets were sloppy and bad. A whole generation of cyclists drank that Flav-R-Aide.

5 Likes

I remember once pulling a “headset” out of my road bike where the bearings were fused solid and only the bearing carrier was sort of rubbing against the ball bearings when the front end was moved. I had been riding it like that for months, barely noticing that something was amiss. “Feels a little rough”.

like pressfit bbs, when they’re good, they’re fine, but when they’re bad they’re really bad, and a lot of early generation inset bearing frames were terrible.

I can see why a manufacturer would want to control more of the bearing surfaces given that.

2 Likes

Decided to make this one a 1x9, was having issue with the front DR. I need to get a cassette with a little more range for the hills around here. I think it will serve is purpose well as the lady friend/quick ride up the street/loner bike for friends.

6 Likes

We replace cronched drop in bearings all the time. I’ve only seen one truly ruined CK headset in 20 years.

So there’s that.

1 Like

Did I make a mistake going cheap on cc40?

I’ve truly ruined a ck bb

1 Like

No, not until it gets rusty

:man_shrugging:

At current CK prices you can burn a whole mess of CC bearings and come out ahead.

But I enjoy the fact that my most abused bikes (coffee grinders with inset7s) have never once had any service beyond wiping a shop rag in there every couple years.

Oh those are just awful. I’m never going to defend a BB that doesn’t say “Shimano” on the box.

1 Like

I have ruined a 9000 and a 9100
For some reason I toast DS bb and pedal bearings

Same with my WI headset. A friend said that was an amount of maintenance they consider unacceptable and I am still not sure if they were serious or not.
I think three years and 10k miles with one ‘crack open and wipe the outside of the bearings’ is a great service interval.

Upon googling it turns out this bearing may in fact be the part I’m actually pleased with most

2 Likes

The TH Industries bearings are hard to beat. I’ve punished so many of them over the years.

1 Like

17 Likes

After months of not getting the SLR Boost in The Right Spot, it finally occurred to me tonight that it is a no setback kind of proposition.

1 Like