Wheel chat

Ah, I guess he did say that. But after being all fred about in the first sentence, it was easier to ignore/breeze over what he said.

First time breaking a spoke on a wheel that I built up myself!

I can’t stand it anymore, the goddamn wheel on my radlawn is just pinging like crazy.

I’ve trued it, I’ve added tension, I’ve removed tension, I’m about to take it in and let the LBS deal with it, but before I do that is there anything else I should try?

It’s driving me insane.

Pressing the spoke junctions in gently towards the hub with the handle of a crescent wrench or a nds crankarm or other smooth metal thing of that approximate size and shape? That might help the spokes bend around each other a bit more.

I grabbed the shit out of them with my hands, in bunches, but I will try the wrench thing before I take them in.

The thing that really kills me is that these wheels have like 2000 miles on them and they only started pinging recently.

28h shimano 600 hubs to archetypes if it matters

The pings could be from grooves being worn into the spokes or hub and then popping out of them as it turns. Pull a spoke back and see if it’s smooth. If there is a chink in the spoke you can stroke it with steel wool.

I built my front wheel so the valve hole is between two slanty spokes. It’s true and at good tension. The valve hole lines up. Should I rebuild it to move the valve hole? Or am I being weird?

I’d rebuild it. That shit is annoying as hell when you try to sick a pump head on a valve.

Any news of the Alex Adventure 2 making it over here in 650bway?

Can you get a pump head on easily? If so, why rebuild it? That’s the only reason I can think of to rebuild.

1 Like

No, he should rebuild it because it’s wrong and he should make it right.

4 Likes

this

I looked on Universal; still no Alex Adventure 2.
I did see “Alex Ace17 32H Black Rim Al 650B” on Amazon for $30.

Pcbe

What does this mean?

post cannot be empty.
because a quote doesn’t count towards your post min. character count and a post needs to have 2 characters or something. You can also use emoji.

you can also just write <div> and it will show up as blank like above

1 Like

I’ve done a few wheels by lacing, getting the spikes just barely to al dente, dripping some purple in and spinning it, works pretty well but if you aren’t planning on finishing your build during that session it’s fucking annoying.

green at the end seems a bit heavy handed, but would definitely make sure your adjustments held.

green loctite pro tip: if your fender struts keep sliding around in your wallered out “r clips”, drop some green in there, et voila

re: stressing spokes: I love the old Sheldon method of using an old crankarm. So satisfying to shove that thick metal piece in there and twist far more than seems possible.

I know what you mean about pings. Gonna blame the Velocity rims on my Jeff Jones wheelset for the pinging noises I hear when riding through more gnarly stuff. Can’t wait to replace them.