Where's the dumb questions thread?

Hence the Tanpan and M6000 dangler

[quote=EddBread]

Basically avoid doing this:

[/quote]

Chain drops down a cassette tooth when back pedaling
[/quote]

Changing the derailleur setup likely won’t fix this as you’ll be changing the bottom run of chain and this is happening on the top section

Anyone know the name of the rubber thing on the right used to convert schrader rim hole to presta valve diameter?

Is one of these a better choice then the others?

Rim grommet.

Stopped by LBS today and we were having a hard time figuring out which banjo I needed for BR-M8000 caliper.
For some reason they don’t include the banjo piece in the parts baggie with the caliper but do include the long bolt that secures the banjo to the caliper.
Before going in to the LBS I was looking at the exploded drawing and surprised to discover that they don’t list the banjo part number at all!

Seems like maybe shimano withholds this piece in order to force you to buy their hoses which include it pre-affixed? (seems like a good idea from reliability standpoint, bad idea if you want aftermarket hoses or to shorten your hose)

Can anyone confirm?

Luckily the LBS did have one of the Shimano compatible Jagwire Quick Fit kits which will interface fine with my Jagwire Quick Fit hose but I was hoping to get a cleaner transition from hydro line to banjo and avoid two consecutive proprietary fittings and one extra way for the hydro line to fail (Quick Fit -> Banjo junction)

If the CX50 have a Q-Factor of 150mm and this is the amount of clearance between the crank arms and the stays of the H/G:

How do the OX901D’s compare with a Q-Factor of 145mm?

You should be able to measure with a ruler or digital caliper the distance between the inside of the crank arm and the stays.
150-145= 5mm so the cranks will be 2.5mm closer on each side.
Also note the location of the chain in the smallest cog & largest chainring relative to the inside of the driveside crank arm.
Shouldn’t be a problem on most cranks but I once had a problem with the crank arm hitting the chain but clearing the chainstay.

I recently found this as well. Wanted the Shimano 2400mm hose for a tandem but it doesn’t come with a banjo. So I had to buy a second hose (1700mm) that comes with the banjo because I couldn’t find them for sale separately.

On the subject, I’m thinking about installing those hydraulic hose inline connectors on this tandem so I can buy 1700mm replacement hoses/swap to flat bar (will prob never do, but hey) etc. but I can’t find the Shimano part number or correct name. Do they sell them separately? Anybody know the correct name or part number?
And is there any reason I shouldn’t use them? Do they make brakes a little spongy or anything?

[quote=EddBread]If the CX50 have a Q-Factor of 150mm and this is the amount of clearance between the crank arms and the stays of the H/G:

How do the OX901D’s compare with a Q-Factor of 145mm?[/quote]

These are older OX901s with a DA9000 BB, and a V1 H/G, varies between 2-3mm clearance:

that split photo is making me go crosseyed.

A friend has a Salsa with a full 105 3x10 105 drive train and BB7 road brakes. He wants flat bars, is there an integrated brake/shifter out there that’ll work for him? If not, best bang for buck on brake levers and shifters? Tiagra?

Thanks!

NRRWSTQFCTR

[quote=Blakey][quote=EddBread]If the CX50 have a Q-Factor of 150mm and this is the amount of clearance between the crank arms and the stays of the H/G:

How do the OX901D’s compare with a Q-Factor of 145mm?[/quote]

These are older OX901s with a DA9000 BB, and a V1 H/G, varies between 2-3mm clearance:

[/quote]

That’s really close :open_mouth:

my DQ after looking at those photos

how (in which direction, i guess?) does a steel bike flex? when dealing with tight clearances like that how does one estimate/compensate for tube flex?

[quote=spaghetti]my DQ after looking at those photos

how (in which direction, i guess?) does a steel bike flex? when dealing with tight clearances like that how does one estimate/compensate for tube flex?[/quote]

the internet is the internet

Most flex will occur when you pedals are closer to 12/6 o’clock and not 3/9 with the tighter clearances.

[youtube]8uX_h9XXVUo[/youtube]

This is more of a TC than a DQ but I spent like 2 hours freaking out trying to figure out why my Di2 wouldn’t do big/big. Not that I would ever deliberately do that while I’m riding of course.

Also it took me like 20 minutes to figure out the Erikson clamp. As it turned out on one side the cup was jammed tightly into the outer part, so it look like they were one piece that wasn’t supposed to come apart.

Regarding hungergatherer chat and nerdcranks:

When I built mine with the dura-ace BB and ox601d cranks, my DS crankarm hit the stay under MAX POWAH.

I put a 1mm spacer on the DS bottom bracket and there is no longer any interference.

It’s close, but it doesn’t hit.

Also, to be fair, I have 2 other bikes that have this same amount of clearance as pictured, none of them hit.