Where's the dumb questions thread?

[quote=Face]A friend has a Salsa with a full 105 3x10 105 drive train and BB7 road brakes. He wants flat bars, is there an integrated brake/shifter out there that’ll work for him? If not, best bang for buck on brake levers and shifters? Tiagra?

Thanks![/quote]
I didn’t really search out integrated flat-bar stuff, so there may be something else out there. That said;

These Tiagra 4600 should do the trick.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Shimano-Tiagra-10-Speed-SL-4600-10x3-Flat-Bar-Road-Shifter-Set-Grey-New-2273-5/263760433624?hash=item3d6958d1d8:g:ue0AAOSwL4lbJFVp:sc:USPSFirstClass!97756!US!-1

Don’t use Tiagra 4700 -even though they are “10 speed” they require a newer 11-speed type rear derailleur.

And while you’re at it maybe ditch the road BB7s and upgrade to these:

sprint less
dither more

[quote=Recumbentist]This is more of a TC than a DQ but I spent like 2 hours freaking out trying to figure out why my Di2 wouldn’t do big/big. Not that I would ever deliberately do that while I’m riding of course.

[/quote]

Download E-tube project, and update or play around with settings. Some stock scenarios on the Di2 don’t allow certain gear combos ime.

I had to crimp my stays on my nerd tire sized bike to make regular cranks fit.

On my H/G the Apex compact cranks I was going to use hit the chainstays

OX601Ds clear the chainstays very comfortably though.

[quote=chenghiz]On my H/G the Apex compact cranks I was going to use hit the chainstays

OX601Ds clear the chainstays very comfortably though.[/quote]

well wtf, mine didn’t.

But the spacer fixed it.

v2 here, maybe something changed?

[quote=kmcdon][quote=chenghiz]On my H/G the Apex compact cranks I was going to use hit the chainstays

OX601Ds clear the chainstays very comfortably though.[/quote]

well wtf, mine didn’t.

But the spacer fixed it.

v2 here, maybe something changed?[/quote]

aren’t you (we) v3?

[quote=spaghetti]my DQ after looking at those photos

how (in which direction, i guess?) does a steel bike flex? when dealing with tight clearances like that how does one estimate/compensate for tube flex?[/quote]

I’m no expert but I don’t think those clearances are a problem. My Nordavinden had tighter crank/chainstay clearances and it was never, ever a problem and I was a fat guy riding a verified noodlebike.

If there is flex, I think the worst of comes when the crank is not in line with the chainstay so no interference.

I’d run those cranks without even thinking about it.

[quote=jimmythefly][quote=Face]A friend has a Salsa with a full 105 3x10 105 drive train and BB7 road brakes. He wants flat bars, is there an integrated brake/shifter out there that’ll work for him? If not, best bang for buck on brake levers and shifters? Tiagra?

Thanks![/quote]
I didn’t really search out integrated flat-bar stuff, so there may be something else out there. That said;

These Tiagra 4600 should do the trick.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Shimano-Tiagra-10-Speed-SL-4600-10x3-Flat-Bar-Road-Shifter-Set-Grey-New-2273-5/263760433624?hash=item3d6958d1d8:g:ue0AAOSwL4lbJFVp:sc:USPSFirstClass!97756!US!-1

Don’t use Tiagra 4700 -even though they are “10 speed” they require a newer 11-speed type rear derailleur.

And while you’re at it maybe ditch the road BB7s and upgrade to these:

Well shit, I wish I saw this before I told him to go ahead and order the 4703 stuff. Is there any way to make it work with the 10s dangler?

Has anyone put a HG fork on a Travelers Check?

Get out

you’d better get the TC for free because that thing is $$$$$.

It’s quite a ridiculously priced detachable sausage

Especially in AU where it’s POA and they fly a single frame over from the USA. (special order price in 2008 was AUD$2500 for the frameset).

For a while there were new 26" frames with ritchey breakaway being cleared on ebay, I think they were Dahons? They were ~$300. That’s a bargain packable travel frame.

Radlawn demi-porteur front rack – will it work with conventional low-rider mounts?

You will need longer struts. (edit unless your A-C is very short)
I have one of those racks mocked up on a frame right now, but might pull it off and replace with a homebuilt steel thing.
Holler at me before you buy elsewhere.

So I emailed Swift about ordering an Ozette in XL and I’ve gotten no replies. Should I just go with Ruth Works?

I’d just call em on the phone.

I got mine by emailing. They did runs for NFE owners at the time, got in on that.

Hey, how do I get the pads in my helmet to not smell like a dead raccoon?