You're gunna hurt yourself: Carry Shit Olympics (aka the Cargo Bike thread)

B2650 with a blower. A tractor seemed excessive until we went through one winter up here…honestly couldn’t leave my neighborhood if we didn’t have at least a couple tractor bros getting up early and doing the roads in our neighborhood to connect out to the county road.

4 Likes

worth measuring with the blue ruler :tm: or a chain checker that more accurately measures elongation. :atmo:
http://pardo.net/bike/pic/fail-004/000.html

I actually double-checked with a Pedro’s tool, which is apparently more accurate. Also reading .75.

The cassette seems pretty okay I think…

I’ve never used one of those chain checker tools and I’ve never had a chain wear out. I don’t really believe that chains wear out. Those checkers are a Big Chain conspiracy to sell more chains.
Chains last forever. Done believe the lies!

9 Likes

Xpost:

1 Like

For best results you’ll want to have a built in fastener to connect the ring lock to

I’ve used one in the past and will use one again. They’re great for some peace of mind. The adapter posts for them suck but do get the thing on there.

1 Like

I’ve been meaning to get one of these forever.

They’re great, especially for quick trips inside a store or at the park to immobilize it.

My acoustic Bluebird came stock with it from LvH in 2014, but the eLizzard in 2020 didn’t. I guess they stopped doing that at some point. :person_shrugging:

But you’re going to forget that it is locked. More than once. And bend a few spokes in the process.

1 Like

Any thoughts on if it’ll fit with my rear rack mounted? The rack attaches to the seatstay bridge.

Mine was mounted in the rear triangle.

Not the best quality photo, but I think it wouldn’t interfere?

4 Likes

i keep a big chain lock on the rear rack of my longjohn, it’s easy to drop it through the wheel, and visually noisy enough to keep from easily being forgotten.

I sort of want a pin lock (frame has tabs for it), but I assume that I’d repeatedly shred the rear spokes

This is true. I haven’t (yet).

2 Likes

Mine has studs on the front side of the seat stays. isn’t there some technique whereby you put a coily lanyard on the handle bars to remind you to undo the lock?

1 Like

A new contender for most askward bit of cargo I’ve lugged on the bob yak – two more space heaters (sucking up 5kw to run space heaters is /still/ cheaper than buying heating oil, thanks to the oil companies.)

9 Likes

Yeah, motorcycle folks do this often for locks placed on the front disc rotor.

Edit: “motorcycle lock reminder” is a good search.

Thought this was interesting

Wendelin Wombat shared a post on Instagram: "Quick mount system for the omnium and a little extra for fun 😅😎. #cargobikelife #cargobike #lastenrad #lastenradliebe #omnium #omniumcargo #bikelove #diycargobike #diyideas". Follow their account to see...

5 Likes

I’ve been meaning to buy a large bin/tote for my bullitt but finding the right size is serious pain in the ass. Last night Sup said that today she needed to transport a bunch of stuff in the pouring rain and didn’t want to drive. Shit. Commence last minute bin shopping online that I could pick up today.

Well, as I said, it’s a huge pain in the ass. I basically gave up and said I’d just drive her there and pick her up later. I then went for a nice late night walk in the rain. Coming back to my house half a block away I see a bin! In the alley! Taped…taped up!. Oh god. It looks like the right size, has a lid with latches. I walked over, popped the lid the tiniest bit expecting to see a body. Nope. Perfectly clean and dry. Looks like someone just tossed it.

Took it home and it fits as perfectly on the bullitt as if it were designed for it. Sits between the rails so it’s not sliding around, is the exact length of the platform, and clears just about 2 inches under the handlebars. It is so large that I’d never have thought to buy it had I seen it at the store.

Included a photo of the label in case anyone else is on the search.

EDIT: The hell is this santa hat nonsense?! I’m a scrooge and thoroughly dislike christmas. Humbug!

22 Likes

Hell yeah! The city provides!

1 Like