You're gunna hurt yourself: Carry Shit Olympics (aka the Cargo Bike thread)

What’s wrong with 16"ers?

The small wheel drops deeper into depressions and has a steeper/harsher approach angle going over bumps and curb cuts, etc.

I’ve never ridden a 16" wheeled box bike, however I have ridden the Cannondale Bent recumbents. The head shok version was better than the rigid, but either way not being able to loft the front wheel meant choosing lines much as you would on a 23mm tired road bike that you weren’t allowed to bunny hop.

… as a justification to pay for a professional paint job?

(the keirin sparkle is nice as a clear undercoat, the solid color paints not so much.)

The only 16” bike I’ve ridden was my friends Brompron and it wasn’t an experience I’m eager to repeat.
I also imagine that it’s slim pickings for quality rims and tires.

Brompton is a different unrelated 16" size, 349mm which now has a Schwalbe One tubeless tire option for it and Kinlin rims

the kid/cargo 16" is 305mm which has long had 50mm Big Apples available

This makes me wonder about other 20" wheeled short wb cargo bikes.

1 Like

There are two different 16” wheel sizes.
Of course there are.
:colbert:

1 Like

That’s ok, there’s like four 20" sizes aren’t there.

Edit, no, only three. But there’s 5 26" and 4 16"

1 Like

I screwed myself when I built my first 20” wheel by building up a rim that was 20x1/8 or some nonsense. Bikes are terrible and ridiculous and wonderful.

2 Likes

I count four 20" sizes on Sheldon’s list: 406, 419, 438, 451.

And as a treat, a 16" moped/ moto tire will also fit on a 406 rim. (But not a 20" moto tire, which corresponds to a 24 x X.X bicycle tire within 1mm but I haven’t seen it actually tried).

Ah, yeah, I was looking at only one of the tables on my phone. If we’re playing the total number of different “twenty inch” wheels by bead seat, then there’s 6

2 Likes

Ash just sent me this picture. Is that a modified paletas trike?

Looks like not much fun to ride.

It’s not modified, they’re sold that way. I believe it’s a Mexican company or Mexican-by way of-Chinese company.

If I look I can find the manufacturer, I saw a bunch of these when I was last in Merida, they’re sold at the hardware department store - same color and everything.

1 Like
2 Likes

so its like $250?

1 Like

I dunno, going fast enough to lift the inside wheel on turns could be fun if you’re not carrying live cargo.

1 Like

I mean I think these things are intended to be loaded up with bebidas y refrescos and pedaled around at like 0.5mph

5 Likes

Yeah, they’re paletas bikes.

With a little tinkering, this might be fun for like $250

1 Like