You're gunna hurt yourself: Carry Shit Olympics (aka the Cargo Bike thread)

Wide load on the clyde

13 Likes

I need a new bin for the bullitt. I broke the hdx 27gal in a week of use and don’t have time to build a custom ply one yet. What’s tougher than the hdx thing and also cheap?

1 Like

Cordura heavy sack and a ratchet strap

I carry a lot of loose parts/tools so a rigid box is best. I wish my use case matched the dyed in the wool bag.

1 Like

measure the bike and mounts and sketch the pieces - I can draw it in cad in about 7 minutes so you can send it to one of the laser cutter companies and lace it together with paracord or zipties

3 Likes

I can do this as well, just was hoping for something more immediate and also like $30. Eventually I’ll be building a nice plywood box with a door for the doggo.

1 Like

This doesn’t solve today’s problem of a broken box, but Shorts and I talked about this a few years back - we thought that a softsided box that vertically locks into place on a couple of pins on the cargo bed would work really well. I think maybe @drwelby sketched something for the idea?

Basically the idea was to have something that closes firmly, locks in place, but is relatively easy to move on and off the bike. Without, you know, going all the way into Urban Arrow’s very very overbuilt solutions

1 Like

I used a Sterilite bin for years. It was flimsy soft rubber and I cut holes in it for mounting and stuff with a razor knife. I think that the squishyness of the bin was actually helpful in it not breaking on me. I think I paid $11 at the local hardware store.

I got passed by a super 73 this morning - standard poodle sitting on the saddle in front of the rider doing real puppy paws off the front of the handlebars

9 Likes

Nope, maybe Jimmay?

1 Like

Those things are bananas! The canopy thing has like 25 zippers and a bunch of different panels and openings and just looks so awkward and annoying to use and also each one of those complications is a failure point.
I love the kid canopy thing I got for the badger box. It consists of three carbon tent poles, three pieces of clear vinyl, two grommets and two little clippie things to secure it. It’s super simple and works super well and smalls can still see really well which doesn’t seem to be the case with either the offical Bullitt offering or the UA thing.
UA:
Bullitt:
Badger:

4 Likes

Huh the badger looks like the answer to my problem : stock Yuba rain canopy is garbage

Wait who made the canopy for the badger box?

Blaq packs.
I ordered it from Splendid Cycles. I think I’m gonna get the cargo cover from them too. It’ll be good for cargo use and for winter kid use too I think.

5 Likes

Ahhhh ok I got to the Badger page and just blundered through. I’ll get at Blaq for a better rain canopy

I swear somebody posted a link here one time for a website that already had exactly this for Bullitt bikes, but it was in fuckin German or something so I couldn’t find it on google

1 Like

I remember seeing that too. I think it was the style that is held together with a come along strap which is kludgy but less so than a toddler in a bin from the hardware store I guess.

@Bootus what was that cargo site in German you found?

The cargo bike database thing? I don’t remember, but it’s probably in this thread somewhere.

1 Like

We’ve collected all the world’s data. We just can’t find it between the shitposts

6 Likes