it wouldn't be tarck without a dyno thread

i’m pretty sure @JUGE_FREDD or @halbritt have your answers. it’s ebike headlights and the right battery

3 Likes

I found a USB-C → 20VDC adapter on Amazon. That’ll power any version of the B&M e-bike headlights. Not sure about a dynamo version. I believe they don’t like >7.5VDC or sommat.

Well dang, I thought I remembered discussion on such a thing that existed out of the box. Maybe it was a bike part that someone wished existed.

1 Like

What I setup was an IQ-XE ebike light with a 12v battery pack and a DC connector from Amazon. I’ll share links to that later when I’m on a computer.

1 Like

okay so I don’t want a dyno now?

3 Likes

That was the heretical conclusion Judge Fred proposed.

Something about stizvos and USB-C and splicing battery cells together or some such.

1 Like

Very gear-focused ultra endurance riders have done math that suggests that from a systemic efficiency standpoint midsized battery bank beats dyno IF you can recharge regularly during time that you would have been stopped and resting.

To me it seems like having a dyno that trickle charges a smallish battery is the optimal solution, but I’m not trying to ride across the Gobi Desert on my road bike

2 Likes

Here’s what I bought. The battery is nothing fancy and is something you’ll want to avoid getting wet since it doesn’t seem to have any sealing. There’s a smaller 3000mAh Talentcell pack that’s like $28 if you don’t need/want something this big. There’s probably other fancier options from other companies but I didn’t want to spend the time shopping for something else.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ME3ZH7C

My light was already wired with a compatible DC connector, so I just needed this male-to-male extension to connect the battery. You may want a 5.5mm x 2.1mm long pigtail connector to wire to the light or something like this and a shorter pigtail.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09BQ81DSS

Chat about this stuff happened starting roughly after Fred’s post here:

4 Likes

This thing?

is there anything to worry about this system in the rain?

1 Like

The battery for sure. I keep it in a bag with the extension cable sticking out so it’s easy to unplug when the bag comes off the bike. Not sure about the connectors.

3 Likes

Zackally
Edit: damn the reviews on that thing are rough.

I’m building up my last 2 dynamos

Can you run a dyno light off 9vdc?

No in general they are either mediocre with DC input or don’t work, almost all good dynamo headlights really only want AC input

The median e-bike headlight does well with 12-15V DC, some of the newest models are documented to want max 15V input, where some older ones say yolo up to 60V straight off a bigger e-bike battery.

1 Like

All I’m reading here is that I’ll be happy to take all the discarded dynamo hubs

8 Likes

Hoovering up dyno hubs like cast off rim brake Serottas from braceline.

3 Likes

I thought the Outbound lights interview on Bikerumor was pretty interesting. Could be spin for all I know, but some of what he said sounded legit to me.

I, too, am trying to find The Judge’s guide on battery-powering an IQ-X. I read it, bought an IQ-X, and now can’t figure out what other parts I need.

1 Like

Thanks. Queued up for a listen in the morning.

1 Like