Say it ain't so: The Assploded Bike Parts Picture Thread.

This customer rode the hell out of those cranks for about 15 years, so honestly not a bad service life. Second set we have seen with this failure.

1 Like

And rings are unobtainable, he found his latest one in old stock at blue lug, so probably for the best.

1 Like

this is why I exclusively use 30 year old shimano cold forged cranks

3 Likes

Remember that wheelie dude that broke those ugly CNC’d cranks? I saw an IG reel where someone broke those same cranks on a trail.

Cool story, I know, but I can’t find the reel again.

1 Like

The 5Dev ones? I’m bummed, they look cool as hell

It’s buried in the Bike Blerg thread, because there was a wheelie dude blasting them on IG.

Yeah that one!

unfortunately i have those cranks on my “gravel bike” and i am now somewhat afraid to ride it

1 Like

the shade of it all

7 Likes

I saw this too! while I like teasing jan & grant, I follow many of their tenets still, including avoiding CNC parts whenever I have a choice, which is almost always

Anontha one (not 5dev this time)

[The MTB Wizard 🇺🇸🇲🇽 on Instagram: "Shit breaks, but wanted to show. This is a big gap as you start short trails @northslopetrails before Stormy and Bowfinger split. Thanks @chriskinerk.mtb for the 📸 work! Just installed that @ext_usa fork and e-Storia on my #cannondalejekyll and it and my @deliumtires save me on this! #yeehaw #shitbreaks"](https://IG embed broken)

I’m assuming this shouldn’t be ridden.

1 Like

Don’t ride on the hoods, that’s for certain.

Pretty sure I did ride it like that. Oof

1 Like

The curse of the wraith continues. Apparently one of my brake rotor bolts was slowly backing out on my ride yesterday and then finally started making contact with my fork on a steep descent. Was super hard to get to a stop with only my rear brake as i didn’t know what was happening at first so i stopped using the front until i could pull over.

:grimacing:

FWIW i should be checking these more regularly but i rode it 2 weeks ago and got a front flat and it wasn’t sticking out then so it seems to have not started backing out until this ride. I’ve got under 500 miles on this bike in total so i don’t ride it much. Every other rotor bolt was still tight.

2 Likes

I’d just gap fill it with some jb weld and call it good.

Are/were you using any blue loctite on those bolts?

I didn’t install them as i bought this bike complete. I’ve never had rotor bolts not come pre-coated in loctite though.

2 Likes

that stuff is more like nylon iirc. loses its efficacy after a couple in and outs. i don’t usually loctite my rotor bolts and haven’t had an issue but maybe i will now…

1 Like

i have never loctite’d a rotor bolt
i have had them back out

:thinking:

3 Likes