You're gunna hurt yourself: Carry Shit Olympics (aka the Cargo Bike thread)

Start doing more bench presses I guess

1 Like

It’s definitely a unique situation lol

Would love to see American cities move goods using methods more tailored to the landscape. Like, I bet the answer would still probably be a truck most of the time, but I bet it wouldn’t have to be a truck ALL of the time.

2 Likes

I had that little tikes swing for both my kids, it was fun

!!!

13 Likes

My clydefork shipped too!

4 Likes

Yep they do. Carla Cargo. Ill be the mid Atlantic point of purchase for these once the distro irons things out. They’re super fucking cool trailers.

4 Likes

They’re motorized, yeah?

I hope this is going on a :smilegrant:

3 Likes

lol, nope, turning the day ruiner into a real gatherer.

2 Likes

Heading back from the LBS and found a gaspipe MTB that will fit my 2-speed coaster brake wheelset. Just threw it on top of the Yuba and that was that.

Pretty much a Crust. Will be heading to the beach shack.

8 Likes

So what 1x drivetrain is good for a cycletruck? Or more to the point, if i’m replacing the drivetrain that came stock with my Lorry (square taper noname cranks, bottom of the barrel Shimano 8spd), what’s a reasonable upgrade? Alivio or Deore or something?

This is part of an ongoing metadither about making the Lorry nicer vs. getting a better cycletruck overall, which I guess keeps me busy?

Not sure if prices and availability in US are drastically different than EU, but I went thru a similar process recently for my blue Bullitt and ended up with SLX 1x11 (cassette + dangler) with Deore shifter and repurposed an old 110-5 Shimano rs-500 crank.

The price difference between 9 and 11 speed stuff (that was available for purchase) was not substantial.

2 Likes

This is some good dirt on this whole mess, thanks! What did you do for the chainring?

Some ~50€ Garabuk? Narrow-wide 38T thing from bike24. It’s fine.

That 99€ GRX 1x crank would be tempting if ever in stock.

1 Like

I have 11 speed XT on my Bullitt with like a 38 tooth ring. It’s a great group but I find myself running out of gears on the high end. I want to get a slightly bigger chainring and live in the middle of the cassette more.

2 Likes

I had a 46/32 x 11-42 XT/ultegra cassette. 32 was used quite often

2 Likes

For cycletrucking, I probably don’t need a gear higher than 3:1, with a 26x2.2 tire, that does about what, 22mph at 90 rpm? I rarely hit that kind of speed on my commuter!

I want to redo my longjohn as well, but I’m a little concerned about how long the arms are on 1x derailleurs, like I might make the wrong kind of scraper bike

That’s a valid concern atmo. The XT on my bullitt looks like it’s about three inches off the ground with a 26" wheel and a 1.9"ish tire.
See:

Would that clear the ground on a 20" wheel? I’m not certain.

1 Like

I had a 1x11 M7000 setup on my Lorry briefly with a 11-46 cassette and the stock crank/ring/BB and it worked fine other than being a bit noisy in the 46 probably because the chainline was less than ideal. The chainline got a little worse at the crank after electrifying it, probably because the narrowest torque sensing BB was wider than stock, so it got converted to 1x10 with an 11-42 cassette. I eventually upgraded the crank to a cheap Shimano M391 (I think) in the quest for a better chainline and longer arms, along with a Profile Racing BMX ring that has some additional offset depending on how it’s mounted. Current ring is a 38T, but I’m chasing the perfect cadence at 20 mph. It still has the stock guard installed. I posted the chainline on that setup in the ebike thread maybe?

That bike as has had M7000, M4120, and M5120 danglers on it and they’ve all worked great, other than the M4120 not having a clutch.

Dangler option worth looking at for a smol back wheel might be the M786 GS or the M640 SSW. Both will handle a 36T large cog and shift 10 or 11 with the right shifter.

1 Like

It was an M361 crank

1 Like